Domain of Demons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Project Extract: The Human Trials

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Project Extract: The Human Trials Empty Project Extract: The Human Trials

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:23 pm

The night was dark, Nyssa could feel the tension, the electricity in the air and as much as it excited her, it made her apprehensive. She was in the city that night. Normally she can feel a storm days before it arrives and she can leave any populated area before it hit, but this storm arrived out of nowhere, almost appearing just to spite her. Acting as if nothing was wrong, she got up from her seat in the cafe and walked out into the street. It was worse outside. The familiar excitement rushed through her making her skin tingle, and a chill raced up her spine. Her icy blue eyes started to get brighter, and she knew she had to leave then or things could get bad.

Not bothering with a cab, Nyssa took off into the night, running past people, cutting through dark alleyways, and jumping fences until she was in the park in the center of the city. With her chest heaving, sweat dripping down her skin, she let out a cry just as thunder cracked across the sky. Releasing the energy inside of her body, lightning struck. To an onlooker, she would have been struck by the bolt of lightning that arched from the sky, but she was the one who had created that strike. After a moment, the sky opened up and rain poured down from the clouds, icy cool drops on her heated skin. Nyssa had collapsed to her knees, her head tilted towards the night sky, mouth barely parted, eyes half lidded a smile on her face. If she weren't in the city she would have created a far bigger light show, she'd created storms of lightning just on a whim before, but as she was surrounded by people she had to be careful. Luckily for her, no one had seen her that night.

Little did she know, she had been seen, and she'd find out by who before the night was over.

Danry
Admin

https://domainofdemons.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Project Extract: The Human Trials Empty Re: Project Extract: The Human Trials

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:24 pm

The sun had just barely set as Ronan was making his way home. Street lights were flipping on as the clouds looming overhead darkened, heralding the incoming storm. He watched as people rushed to their homes and into shops to escape the imminent rain. The driver of the vehicle, and old friend, broke the silence finally but kept his eyes locked on the road.

"I can't keep doing this for you, Ronan. People like you are causing enough of a stir already. All these fights... the misdemeanors... they have to stop, cause one day your luck is going to run out and there won't be anyone to bail you out." The officer's words did not go unheard, but in his mind Ronan did not see any other way. Most everyone in town knew that he was a trouble maker, making him undesirable as an employee. Underground boxing was the only place he could find that would pay him enough to live.

"Maybe," Ronan replied. "But it keeps a roof over my head. Not everyone can find honest work like you, Jed." Nearby a flash of light, accompanied by a crash of Thunder shook the two men, causing both of them to jump. "Holy shit that was close!"

"Yeah... it was," Jed said as he flipped on his lights. "Better make sure it didn't hit someone or something..." The policeman made a u-turn and made way back toward the city in search of the lightning's striking point. "C'mon... you may be a criminal, but you are the closest thing to back up I have out here." Both men laughed at the joke as the made their way into the open field. It was too dark to see much, and soon a driving rain made things even more difficult. Ronan wanted to use his ability to block the rain, but no one could know what he was. Not even his best and only friend.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Nyssa let the rain completely drench her body, as she sat crumpled in the grass. That one strike wasn't enough to release the tension in her body and she had nowhere else to go. The rain was picking up force as was the wind, thunder was crashing loudly in the sky, so it wouldn't have been too far fetched for a lightning storm to accompany the oncoming torrent. Her eyes snapped open, the bright hues glowing unnaturally in the dark, as four bolts of lightning slammed into the ground around her one right after the other. The girl reached a hand out towards the sky, another flash shooting from her fingertips to the sky, as the thunder rumbled overhead, almost as if it were answering the light.

When the light finally faded,a small grin appeared on her face and she sat back on her hands laughing. Seeing the lightning, feeling it's electric pulse wind through her veins made her feel happy. And it had been a long time since she'd felt happy. Sighing softly in content, Nyssa laid back in the grass, and stared up at the sky. The ground around her was burnt, singed in an almost completely full circle. She didn't feel the eyes on her, the watcher in the darkness.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Another crash of lighting splintered the sky, followed by another, and another. Four total bolts struck the Earth, forcing Ronan and Jed to the ground as the powerful waves of sound assaulted their unprotected ear drums. Neither could hear anything for several moments, but slowly they started to rise off the muddy ground. Both were concerned about the fact that lightning had struck the same spot five times, defying the odds and breaking the rules of nature. A final streak of electricity pierced the rain, this one larger than before. Again the two men were forced to the ground, this time rendering Jed unconscious. Ronan's mind was dizzy and foggy from all the energy dispersing. Fruitless attempts to rouse the officer concerned Ronan, but Jed was still breathing to he left him there. Probably safer, he thought, since he would present a smaller target for another lightning strike.

Forging ahead, Ronan's eyes eventually settled on a figure lying on the ground. Worried that she had been injured by the storm, he rushed forward to aid her. Despite the pouring rain, the grass under his feet felt crunchy, likely a result of the intense heat from the lightning strikes. He neared the figure, whom he'd finally discovered was a woman roughly his own age, her eyes fixed on the sky. "Hey," he yelled. "Hey are you alright!?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:26 pm

A shift in the energy caused Nyssa to sit upright, her body turning to face the cause of the disturbance. Her glowing hues rested on a male mere feet from her, and she jumped up and away from him, her eyes wide. "You can't be here.." She breathed, "no one is supposed to be here..." Panic began to build inside of her, the more emotion she felt, the thicker the energy around her got, flicks of electric blue light flashing around her like she was standing in the middle of a miniature lightning storm.

Slowly backing away from him, the burnt grass crunching under her boots, she put her hands in front of her, palms facing outward, ducking her head. He wasn't supposed to see her, no one was. She wanted to remain missing, and off the grid. Nyssas panic began to worsen and the urge to run became overpowering. "This isn't safe.. You're not safe here... No one is safe..." She mumbled softly shaking her head.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:27 pm

Much to his surprise, the girl suddenly jumped up in a fit of panic. Her body flickered with energy, leading him to first suspect that she had been struck by lightning, but the more he looked at her the more the pieces began to fit together. "Wait... wait this was you?" Ronan looked very confused. He didn't think he would ever meet a person like him. Well, someone else with powers anyway.

Ronan put out his hands, open-palmed to show that he held no weapon. "Wait wait wait please... don't go. Please? This... this was fucking awesome! All the lightning and the thunder, i only wish i was that cool!"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:28 pm

When the boy pleaded with her to stay, Nyssa hesitated, and stopped backing away her body still rigid. The light danced around her body and she bit her lip, her eyes narrowing as she watched him, as if she were assessing him. "You came here with a cop.. how do I know you won't turn me in?" Nyssa didn't trust anyone. Not for a very long time, there was no way she was going to trust a random stranger who happened upon her lightning storm.

The girl shifted on her feet uneasily, her body tense, muscles twitching. The storm got progressively worse, thunder echoing around them, while Nyssa not only fought the urge to run, but the impulse to release the energy inside of her. The air around her was becoming thick, almost permeable making it difficult to breathe, her body practically vibrating. A few moment passed and she backed up a couple of feet, "I'd stand back if I were you.. You want to see cool? I'll show you cool.."

Nyssa closed her eyes, tilted her head back towards the clouds and raised her hands, now practically glowing with flickering light. Her eyes snapped open as thunder cracked across the sky, at the same moment releasing a torrent of energy causing the sky to light up, two thick bolts of lightning crashing to the ground inches behind her.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Ronan chuckled lightly when the girl mentioned Jed. "Trust me... he only wishes we worked together. Look I just want to talk, okay? Nothing more." At her queue, Ronan took several step backwards just as the lightning hit the earth behind her. The blast kicked up some debris, but was most offensive to his senses. The light almost blinded him, and the blast was enough to make his ears ring. He shook his head vigorously, trying to clear the disorientation from his brain. Visibly rattled, Ronan took a few moments to steady himself, then smiled excitedly. "That is badass... I won't lie." It was a lot of fun to see someone else use their abilities, especially considering his was so difficult to demonstrate.

"I'm not asking you to trust me. I don't blame you; I wouldn't trust me either. But if it makes you feel any better..." With little need for concentration, Ronan extended an invisible barrier above the mysterious female's head, blocking the rain and letting it run down to her left side. Another barrier was also erected above himself, being quite tired of the driving rain. His muscles flexed slightly, hoping that she would not freak out and blast him with lightning. He'd never stopped lightning before, so his confidence in protecting himself from her anger was a major concern.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Being suddenly shielded from the rain Nyssa looked up, her eyes widening a fraction. Tentatively reaching to see if she could touch the invisible barrier she hesitated, unsure, and then just let her hand fall back to her side. He could do things, too? She turned her gaze back to him, then glanced past him at the unconscious cop lying feet from them. "He'll be okay, you know. The shock wave overloaded his senses. He'll be awake soon.." Nyssa paused, "he can't know I was here. No one can."

Staring at the man in front of her, she bit her lip, a habit she'd picked up when she first moved to America. If the cop saw her face, knew her name.. She shook her head a sighed softly. "You said you wanted to talk?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Ronan nodded. "Yeah, just talk. We can go somewhere else if you want; he doesn't have to know who you are." Slowly he approached the nameless girl, bringing his bare wrists up so she could see the fresh ring of bruising around them. "He's used to be just disappearing for a while." Ronan made sure to keep some distance between the two of them, not wanting her to feel threatened by his presence. He took a moment to observe her, not really trying to size her up but more just trying to remind himself that she was real. She wasn't a faker, nor was she just in the right place at the right time. She... had... powers. Just like him, which made her the only other person on the planet that he knew could do what she did. He had always wondered, but never dreamed that he would actually meet someone who could do what she could do.

"Do you have some place in mind? I know a couple of places but they're clear across town." In his mind he could think of only two places where the two could talk. One was an old diner, where the food was cold and cigarette smoke filled the air, but there was coffee and booze, but most of all it was a place where people could converse without fear of being overheard. The other was his studio flat on the other side of the city. It wasn't much, just a basic apartment, but he didn't think she would want to go home with someone she'd known for a whole ten seconds.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Nyssa wasn't from the city, she usually traveled and stayed in the countryside. There were no places that she knew of that were close where she could guarantee his or anyone else's safety. Unless it was somewhere without people or electricity. Then again, the storm was starting to fade, and with less unused energy floating around she should be fine. "I know one place.." It would have been closed by then but she had a key.

Nyssa turned and began walk out of the park towards an old shop just on the other side of it. It was owned by her family, but had changed owners when her parents died, though the new shop keeper said she could keep her key and stop in anytime. They were renovating it, again, so it was only an open area with pieces of loose wood and paint buckets scattered around. No one would hear them, but they weren't so alone that if something happened, people would be able to hear cries for help.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Ronan nodded and followed behind her. The location for their talk wasn't ideal, but it was open enough, and there would be people around to hear if there was a problem. Of course, he might already be dead by the time someone came to check on something suspicious, but that was just a risk he was going to have to take. He entered the room, took a look around, then sat himself down on a paint can, soaked to the bone and dripping wet. If only he could control heat, but no. That would be too convenient. He was cold from all the water, but not enough to shiver by that point. Ronan waited for her to settle in before he spoke to her again. It had occurred to him that they never really introduced themselves to her, so that became his first priority.

"Wow... not a bad little place. My name's Ronan, by the way." He would have offered to shake her hand, but he'd be lying if he said he wasn't concerned about being electrocuted. "I didn't think i'd ever meet another person with powers. Where are you from? How long have you known?" Ronan understood that he was bombarding the girl with questions, but he'd carried so many with him for a very long time. Plus there was Jed to worry about. How would he react to being left unconscious in a field in the rain by a friend on probation?

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Nyssa raised an eyebrow, pushing herself up on the countertop, her feet swinging off the edge. Now out of the rain and potential danger of accidentally electrocuting someone, she was feeling less tense, so his questions didn't bother her. "My name is Nyssa. I'm originally from Zhytomyr, Ukraine, but my family moved here when I was twelve. I've know... About this.." She opened her hand, a small but bright blue ball of lightning dancing in her palm, "for four years. What about you?" She watched him for a moment, letting the electricity in her hand vanish.

"By the way, I won't electrocute you unless I want to." Nyssa wasn't stupid. She could tell he was apprehensive about touching her or getting too close to her for fear of being zapped. Normally it would bother her, but she'd released a ton of pent up energy and was feeling too drained to care. If he wanted to avoid physical contact she was perfectly fine with that. Not like she'd know how to react even if he did. It had been so long since she'd allowed herself close to anyone.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:32 pm

"About seven years," Ronan replied casually. He was glad that, up to that point, he had not offended her too terribly. One could never be too cautious in their day in age. Meeting a stranger could be just as dangerous as walking through a gun range during live fire exercises. "It started on accident, but I got better and better at it as time went on. Figured out how to use it to my advantage. Things started looking better after that." Still slightly apprehensive but feeling better about approaching her, Ronan pushed himself to stand and moved a little closer to look at the blue ball of floating energy before it dissipated. His eyes were full of surprise and wonder. His curiosity compelled him to touch it, but again prudence stood in the way, and he was all the better for it.

Ronan smiled slightly when she said she wouldn't shock him. "Thanks for that, i'll try not to hurt you with mine." To demonstrate his ability again, he pushed downward with the invisible force, giving the appearance that he was hovering a few inches above the floor. "Yours is much cooler to look at, by far. But mine has it's uses." Ronan set himself back on the floor, then looked at Nyssa curiously.

"So... what's going on with you? Are you in some kind of trouble? The way you reacted to Jed being there... is something wrong?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:32 pm

Nyssa watched him, the corners of her lips twitching upwards slightly. His ability was cooler than hers. While it had the potential to hurt someone if he chose, it also looked like he could do a lot of other things. There wasn't much she could do with her own ability, but she wasn't around to impress or wow anyone with what she could do.

Ronan mentioning Jed, made her smile disappear and she looked outside, frowning. "I'm not in trouble, no. I don't need help, and I'm definitely not a fugitive. I'm just technically missing." She grinned almost sadly and shrugged. "He's a cop. I'm on a national missing persons database. It's his job to say something if he sees me, he'd contact my brothers and it would be a mess. I don't feel like being found. I only have one more year before I'm off the list and 'assumed dead', and they'll stop looking for me." In America a missing person is assumed dead after five years, which means that Nyssa went missing around the same time she found out about her ability.

"Why are you with him? Were you being arrested or something?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:33 pm

"Oh... that makes sense. I won't pry..." Ronan was saddened to hear that she was having trouble with her family. He didn't understand the law enough to make the connection between manifestation and her runaway day, but it was likely that he would catch on later. "Yeah, he's definitely a cop. But he's put his neck on the line for me a few times, so... that counts for something I guess." Her question drew a sigh from Ronan just before hopping up on the far side of the counter. He didn't like speaking up or down to people, so if he could be on equal level, it made him feel more comfortable. He did, however, show some respect for personal space by putting a bit of distance between the two of them. Even extending his arm fully would not have reached her.

"Jed and I go way back. Went to the same school and everything. We were almost brothers back then. But high school came, and are situations really started to show their differences. He grew up in a nice family with decent money. I didn't. He got straight A's, I pulled B's with a few A's thrown in for flavor. He was captain of the debate team, I was almost always in trouble. He became a cop and I... well lets just say I wasn't getting paid a taxable wage." Ronan held up his hands, which were balled into fists but not clenched. Every knuckle bore scars. "Underground fighting, mostly. Not enough to make me a hardcore criminal, but it does give me a rep-sheet that makes it hard to find work. Jed was taking me home, actually, fresh out of holding. That's when we saw your light display. We may be on different sides of the law, but he's still my friend."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

"At least you know he's got your back and that does count." The rain was beginning to let up, the storm passing. His friend would be waking soon. "You should probably get back to him. He won't be in any condition to drive when he gets up, he'll need you." Nyssa pushed off the counter and stood by the window, looking outside at the city. So many people in such a crowded space, she'd need to leave soon. Meeting Ronan was nice, but he probably wouldn't ever see her again; it was for the best, though. She could control her ability for the most part, the only time she couldn't was when her emotions got out of control and that happened a little more often than she'd like.

Nyssa turned to thank Ronan for his company, but before she could get the words out, the window behind her shattered inwards, the force throwing her forward. Looks like Ronan wasn't the only one who had seen her that night.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

"Yeah, I should probably get back. It was nice to meet you though. Hope I run into you again sometime." Ronan's words were honest, as he did actually enjoy talking to someone, even if it only lasted a few minutes. Despite the presence of Jed and some other friends, Ronan felt very much alone in the world, always hiding his true self from them. They called him Piker at the fights, an homage to a very interesting movie about a boxing gypsy known for his one-punch ko's.

Just as Nyssa turned to speak to him again, the windows behind her blew in, sending shards of glass flying through the air. After several cuts, Ronan managed to create a shell to deflect the rest of the shards, but it wasn't any good to Nyssa. Disoriented and scared, Ronan stood paralyzed for a moment before finally forcing his legs into motion. He moved toward the girl to check on her, and to perhaps pull her to safety if needed. He pushed the shell around the both of them in case something fell on them, but it would not last long at all.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Nyssa groaned, several shards of glass cut her back, arms and legs, a few smaller pieces stuck in her hands from the fall. When she looked up, her eyes were glowing, electricity cracking around her whole body, panic and fear slamming into her. Jumping to her feet, ignoring the pain from the glass, she whirled around to see three silhouettes standing in the broken window.

Eyes wide with fear, Nyssa clenched her hands into tight fists, the entire block loosing power, as she siphoned the electricity, pulling it to her; her entire body now like a bright blue glow stick she thrust her hands forward, tiny bolts of lightning shooting from her fingertips. Turning on her heel, she bolted, grabbing Ronans arm as she went, concentrating hard on not letting any electricity pass from her to him. "Run!"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Very confused by what he saw, and completely flabbergasted that Nyssa could move, let alone run or use her abilities, Ronan did not hesitate in turning around and fleeing the scene. Of course, they were inside a building so there was theoretically no where to go. Of course, when one hit like a mac-truck, walls didn't necessarily matter much. He had no trouble keeping pace with the girl, but when they started coming up on the back wall, he sprinted faster and harder. Throwing his fist forward, the wall before them smashed outward, leaving a hole big enough for them to pass through. It was loud, and it was somewhat dangerous, but what choice did they have? He was running with someone he barely knew, from people he did not know, for reasons he wasn't entirely clear on.

"What the hell is going on!? Who are those guys!?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Nyssa ran until she couldn't run anymore, the pain in her legs forcing her to slow and then stop, falling to her knees. Grunting as the shards of glass were pushed deeper into her skin she brought her hands to her face, yanking the pieces out and throwing them to the ground. "I don't know... I don't know..." She gasped, struggling to breathe. "The.. The homeless people around here... Said that people are... Going missing.. I just.. Assumed they were.. Fucking with me because I'm.. Foreign..." Nyssa was trying to keep her ability under control but her rising fear was making it incredibly hard.

"You should go... Go back to your friend.. He's a cop.. You.. You need to go.. I can't run anymore.." Her accent was slipping through, her control visibly wavering as the grass beneath her began to burn.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ronan stopped and bent down to help Nyssa. Maybe they didn't know each other very well, but they were both... gifted... if such a term was considered appropriate. They were an endangered species, and needed to stick together. "Nope, not an option. I don't quit, so you can't quit either. Now get your ass up!" Using his power to assist, he lifted the girl into his arms, whether she liked it or not, and started to trot away, albeit very slowly. Ronan only made it a few steps, however, as his power was most useful in short bursts. While he was not sickly and weak, he was not prepared to lift a full-grown woman very far in that way. There was no time to try to reposition her, so he did the only thing he could think of.

In the alley there was variety of debris and basic appliances, including several aluminum garbage cans. He set Nyssa down as carefully as he could against the wall and crowded a couple of refuse bins around her, hoping to conceal her presence. Without being able to see their attackers, he using his power to lift bricks and pieces of wood back through the hole he'd created, unsure if it was doing any good. But at the very least, he hoped to slow them down, perhaps even attract their attention to lead them away from Nyssa while he retreated to his friend. It was finally time for the police to be on his side. In the alley he waited to see if they would take the bait or not.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:35 pm

The men that had been following them turned their attention to Ronan. Nyssa was nowhere to be seen and he'd shown some incredible ability as well. They were on a mission to find and bring in those with extraordinary powers. He was one of them. Two of them went for Ronan while the third stayed behind to keep an eye out for Nyssa. She'd used her abilities a lot that night and she'd gotten hurt, she would be weak, unable to defend herself properly.

As she say crouched behind the bins, Nyssa pulled her knees to her chest, hiding her face, staying as small as she possibly could to stay hidden. She was afraid and alone, for the first time in four years she wished she hadn't left home and had her brothers with her. They had always protected her before, and she knew they still would even after all she had done. 'I want to go home...' She thought, biting her lip hard to keep from making noise. Nyssa prayed that Ronan could get to Jed in time to come back for her.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:36 pm

Ronan sneered at the men, happy to see them in full view finally. He wanted all three to follow him, but he would settle for two. Maybe Nyssa still had enough in her to fend off one more guy. He knew that he could kill them, effortlessly even. But that wasn't the point. Dead men would lead to investigations. Investigations would turn into witch hunts. Then, no one would be safe. Ronan slung a few more rocks at them then sprang backwards, causing the pavement to cave in a bit as his power pushed against it, vaulting him through the air in an effort to escape. He didn't know his opponents or how they would react, but he hoped very much that they were just thugs. Then again, they did manage to blow out the shop windows, which could mean that they themselves had powers, at which point he would be in serious jeopardy.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:36 pm

The two men jumped after Ronan. Only one of them had any sort of ability but he was the one that stayed behind. The other two had equipment mean to tranquilize subjects like Ronan. Both of them pulled out pistols armed with the aforementioned tranqs and began firing at him, while managing to stay concealed in the shadows.

The one who remained behind began quietly moving through the alley searching for the girl. Behind bins, between them, shuffling through the debris, wearing gloves made of rubber so if he touched her she couldn't shock him. As he got closer to her hiding space, Nyssa began to freak out, her heart pounding in her chest. She tentatively looked up, and her eyes widened seeing the man looking straight down at her. In a panic she pressed herself against the building; the man reached for her and put his hand on top of her head. His ability was to make the victim use their ability so extremely it knocked them unconscious. When his hand touched her head, Nyssa screamed, releasing enough energy to knock out the power in a six block radius, lightning crashing down from the sky striking her.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum