Chronicles of Light and Dark: Awakening

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chronicles of Light and Dark: Awakening

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:49 pm

A cool breeze whipped between the structures that dotted the landscape, piercing the blanket of record high temperatures that had been draped over the city for over thirty consecutive days. Even the rainy days kept a persistent heat to them, though the falling rain did seem to help. It was raining the day Xander came to town, dressed in a long hooded trench coat, dark cargo khaki pants, Converse high tops, and a black t-shirt depicting a samurai standoff. A mop of dark hair descended from the hoodie on the sides just in front of his ears, and a pair of piercing icy blue eyes peered up from the fabric covering the young man's head. His features were sharp, his skin relatively fair and pale, but with a striking facial structure and a smirk that could set all but the most patient people on edge, Xander stood out more in a crowd than many of his kind liked.

In truth, Xander didn't mind being seen, for he felt that it validated his existence. In a time before arriving in town, Xander had felt out of place in the universe. As a being from the Realm of Light, he had spent his entire life being instructed to conceal his presence, to work as he was directed with the least amount of human interaction possible. Ever the rebel, Xander took every chance he had to walk among the mortals as one of them. He didn't go out and claim to be a god, or even an angel, but it gave him a chance to breath, to stretch out of his infinite though oppressive world. The primary problem was Xander's propensity to use his spiritual energy within the mortal realm to do more than ushering around the souls of the recently departed.

Xander hung a sharp right and stepped into a building, the same small smile tugging at the right corner of his lips. Immediately he was greeted by the pungent odor of old cigarettes and sweat. Pawn shop merchandise lined the walls and cluttered shelves, including musical equipment, electronics, and a wide variety of guns and other miscellaneous knickknacks. Xander moved passed several rows of shelves, then spoke as he approached the man leaning against the counter, who looked up from above his glasses.

"Xander! Man, it's rainin' like crazy out there!" The overweight gentleman walked around the counter to greet the dis-positioned Harbinger of Ice with a high-five/handshake hybrid. "Where you been, brother?" Xander was just as happy to see the man as he was to see Xander.

"I've been all over the place, Miles." Xander chuckled a bit as he drew a cigarette from a pack tucked securely in his pocket, lit it, and took a long drag. He didn't dare try to smoke in the rain, for obvious reasons. He liked to joke that it was by the whim of his superiors that rain fell, simply to stop his smoking, even if it did no harm to his body. "Hey, got anything cool for me?"

"Yeah man, check this out," replied the heavy male as he pressed a button under the counter, hidden from view.

Danry
Admin

View user profile http://domainofdemons.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Chronicles of Light and Dark: Awakening

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:50 pm

The beings that resided in the Shadow Realm were not all inherently evil, as most would assume. Yes, it was their job to lead the misguided souls into the darkness through the Void, but not all of them were hell bent on the destruction of the opposite Realms. Some of the beings were only there because that was where they were created. Of course, residing inside the darkness and feeding off of it for millennia would have an effect and twist the perception of anyone inside, but not all of them were bad.

Zeryna, a shadow Phoenix born of the void flames, had no real opinion on either Realm and only remained there out of curiosity and boredom, but as infinite as it was, her wanderlust was not sated. The instability within the darkness gave her an opportunity to fly through the Void to the humans world. Her pale skin was accentuated by the inky black lines that cross crossed the left side of her body, her long hair the color of a dark night sky, lowlights of blue and purple woven through the strands. Her bright eyes, violet in color, were wide open, taking in the structures before her. A smirk fell across her lips, the violet hues alight with a burning desire to explore and know all this world had to offer her.

Making her wings vanish, the tattoos only visibly to those she allowed, she closed her eyes, as black, purple, and blue flames consumed her. A change of clothes was necessary, and once they had vanished, Zeryna stood with a deep blue and black hooded shirt, a fringed black skirt, fishnets and knee high lace up boots. "Perfect~" She purred, taking off into the rain, down the paved streets, intent on exploring this new and interesting land.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Xander watched as the cabinet behind the shop owner move quietly to the side, revealing a hidden closet behind it. He grinned as he moved around the counter, inspecting the various items that had been previously hidden from view, mostly books. Xander wandered the tiny space, placing his hand on many of the tomes sitting flat on the shelves. "Miles, you're like an old librarian." He took a long drag from his cigarette and exhaled.

"Dude, really? You're going to smoke around ancient texts?" Miles was serious about his irritation, but it seemed to go unheard. Xander seemed to find something on the middle rack.

"Hey... where did you find this one," he asked, almost in a trance.

Miles looked above Xander's shoulder. "That one? I... don't remember actually."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Zeryna darted through traffic, weaving in between the humans, ignoring the weird looks as she stared in shop windows, gawking at the people. Everything looked foreign. No pointed ears, no twisting tails, no wings. Humans limited to walking and driving cars.

Some shops had expensive electronically things, some shops had clothes, some were full of sweets and uncooked meat. Some were dark while others were brightly lit, all full of people trying to escape the torrent of rain. Except for one. Pressing her face against the window, she notices that no one is inside as far as she can see. This shop was different from the rest, it wasn't full of just one thing, but a variety of things.

"I wonder what's in here..." Zeryna pushed open the door and walked in.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Xander carefully peeled over page after page, running his fingertips across the aged paper similarly to the way a blind person would read braille. The smile never left his face. "This is incredible, Miles! Do you have any idea what this is!?" The shop owner gave Xander a questioning look, as if he wanted to smack him for asking such a ridiculous question. "Of course you don't know what this is. Dude... this is a very old book. No one's seen it in centuries. It disappeared sometime in the early Dark Ages. Rumor was that it had been burned as blasphemous material, but it wasn't! It's right here!" Xander could almost squee about his excitement.

Before he could say anything further, the door to the pawn shop suddenly swung open, revealing a girl in a dark hoodie and a skirt. Both Xander and Miles looked at the girl with the same general expression. 'Daaamn...' Miles hastily closed the closet, not noticing that his conversation partner was still holding onto the book they'd been discussing. Xander moved back around the counter, tome in hand and eyes locked on the newcomer. He wanted to introduce himself, but he was no where near that comfortable with mortal women.

"Can I help you, miss," Miles asked, his voice light and cheerful.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:53 pm

The air seemed to shift in front of Zeryna as two people emerged from what looked like a secret room. She watched them for a moment, her lips twitching upwards slightly. Pulling her hood down, some of her hair sticking to the sides of her face, she shrugged running a delicate finger along a nearby shelf. "Oh no, I'm just... Browsing..."

Walking around the pale boy in front of the counter, she tilted her head, picking up a small item from the shelf, turning it over in her hands, examining it with wide eyes. Everything in this realm was new to her, exciting, unknown. Setting the item back down, Zeryna moved towards the shop owner, her head tilting to the side once again. He was mortal, and he smelled different. The air around him didn't vibrate with energy; she'd never seen a human this up close before. But what about the boy? Glancing over her shoulder, her eyes widened a fraction. Now that was interesting.

"So... What kind of shop is this.. Anyway?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:53 pm

Miles looked as if he might come unglued as he watched the girl touching almost everything in arms reach. He kept his tone civil, though it was obvious that he was stressed out by her constant touching. "Well, if you see anything you want to buy, just let me know." Xander kept his eyes on the young woman as she browsed the shop. Something was different about her. Something strange.

Xander spoke up next, in response to the girl's question. "It's a pawn shop. You know... a place where people go to sell the shit they don't want anymore. It's just what people do anymore." He watched the tattoo'd girl walk around, even caught her glancing in his direction. He held the book nonchalantly, somewhat grateful that she had provided such a distraction. His eyes went back to her tattoos, then up to her eyes. "See something you like?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Turning her gaze to the shop owner, she raised an eyebrow at his expression, and tone of voice. Why was he acting that way? Was it because of the touching? Leaning across the counter, she placed a slender finger on his forehead, "Frowning causes wrinkles~ if you don't want the touching, you should speak up." Smiling widely she stood straight once again, and wandered further into the store.

"We don't have... Pawn shops... Where I'm from." Zeryna knelt down, examining without touching, all that was in her sight. Suddenly she stood and went back to the counter, pulling a ring off her finger as she went. Setting it on the counter in front of the owner, she smirked. "How much would this go for, Hm?" The rings band was thin, but made completely of obsidian, six purple gems set along the top, though when turned the right way the gems looked blue. It was a stone called Verita and it was a rare find, even in the Shadow Realm.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Miles' tone switched immediately as the unnamed girl set her token on the counter. Business mode had been activated, clearly bringing more focus to the aging man than he had before she arrived. He picked up the ring and held it in his swollen fingers, assessing the item with a careful eye. "This... wow. This is really unique. Where did you get something like this?" Miles was stunned by the beauty of the ring, almost mesmerized by it's intricacy. He continued to study it while drowning out the rest of the world. Xander leaned against the counter to see what it was that the shopkeeper was so entranced by, thinking maybe the girl had shown him some extra cleavage to get a good deal. Much to his dismay, she hadn't. The ring itself was the object of Miles' apparent obsession.

"Wow... that's a nice ring," Xander said, his eyes zeroed in on the item but keeping Zeryna in the periphery of his vision. "Looks like a wedding ring. Did the honeymoon end to soon or did he do something stupid?" It really didn't matter to Xander what her answer was, for he had already determined that there was more to her than he could put his finger on.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Zeryna laughed, shaking her head. "No wedding ring. It was a gift from... lifetimes ago.. I have no need for it now." Focusing back on the shopkeeper, she leaned forward on the counter and grinned. "So, how much would you say it's worth?" She knew back in the shadow realm what the ring was worth, but the value of human dollars didn't mean that much to her.

Though she was looking at the older man, she kept Xander in her view as well. Humans intrigued her, but even this mortal was odd to her. He was different, and though he held a book casually, she could see he also held it tightly. What was so interesting about a book, anyway?

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:57 pm

Miles exhaled loudly as he considered the girl's question. "Well... a lot, I'd say. I'd say ten grand at least, but I don't know if I could buy it for that." Standard sales tactic, though Xander noted quite a bit of hesitation in Miles' pitch. He had never seen the old coot loses his savvy before. He also noted that the girl seemed particularly uninterested in anything he had to say, so toward the door he went, completely unaware of the stares drilling into the back of his head.

"I could probably buy it for... seventy-five hundred."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:58 pm

Zeryna didn't like that the boy was leaving already. An idea formed in her mind and she grinned wickedly, before she turned back to the shop keeper, leaning over and putting on her best sultry tone. "What about a trade?" She paused, fire dancing behind her hues. "My ring... For that book.." Pointing directly behind her to Xander, she turned slightly.

"I know it's a rare piece and I'm willing to pay the difference. It's a win-win for you.." In all honesty, Zeryna had zero interest in that book, and she never intended on selling her ring. She just liked to stir up as much trouble as she could. Humans were new, fascinating creatures, after all.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:58 pm

Xander cringed as he heard the girl's proposal. Had he actually just heard what he thought he heard? Turning back to face her, the young man had ice in his eyes and irritation in his heart. Slowly turning around to face them, he caught Miles' eyes glaring at him, and knew that he would not be walking away with such a bargain intact. "Sold!" The shopkeeper's enthusiasm could be heard a mile away, as it were.

Begrudgingly Xander made his way back to the counter, stalking through the aisles with a grower that could turn milk sour. "Miles think about this... You're going to give this stranger such a valuable piece of... literature, in exchange for some impostor stone of a ring? I've seen more valuable pieces of cap in those little quarter machines!"

"Well unless you have something better to offer, hand it over!" Miles wasn't playing around. As much as he wanted the book, Xander placed it on the counter while glaring at the girl.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Zeryna laughed, shaking her head. "Imposter stone? You must be blind if you can't see Verita in it's purest form positioned perfectly inside that band." She ran her fingers along the spine of the book, an eyebrow raised. It tingled against her skin, sending a shiver down her spine. There was magic, ancient magic inside that book.

Pulling several crumpled hundred dollar bills from her hoodie pocket, she laid them on the counter, pulling the book closer in the same motion. "If that is all settled, I think take my leave."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:00 pm

Xander didn't smile, or seem amused in the least. With an angry stare he let go of the text, watching Miles take the money and the ring. "Fine," he finally said, resigned to the fact that the book would not belong to him after all. "Well if you are going to take my book, at least tell me your name." Xander looked back at her tattoos, admiring their intricate details and perfect craftsmanship. Any blind beggar would know that they were magical in nature.

"Even better, how about you tell me where you got your tats?" If he had to be irritated about the turn of events, Xander figured that reciprocating that feeling was most appropriate. Leaning casually with one hand against the counter, he eyed Zeryna knowingly. He had just called her out, so he prepared for the backlash as best he could. Whatever she was, she was powerful and dangerous.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:01 pm

The smile did not leave Zerynas face, she merely cocked her head to the side casually. She knew that the shopkeeper couldn't see her tattoos, as he was so plainly human it was ridiculous. But the boy in front if her could see them, which meant he was an immortal. Now the question was, should she make him look like an idiot, or should she answer him?

"My name is Zeryna. But before I even touch on your other question, is it not customary to also give your name in introduction?" Her grin widened as she clutched the book tightly to her chest, shifting her weight from one foot to the other.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:02 pm

"Fair enough. My name is Xander." He watched the girl shift on her heels, bringing no doubt to his original confusion. She was certainly immortal, though he could not place her origin or age. Having been on the battlefield many time, he felt like he would have noticed if she familiar from those times. But for the life of him, he could not place her face or her energy.

Xander smiles apologetically, then rubbed the back of his neck. "See, that book is really important to me. I've been looking for it for a really long time. If you're still going to buy it, can I at least look at it before you take it home?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:02 pm

"If you must." Zeryna set it back down on the counter watching him carefully. "As for my... Tattoos... Well.. It's a long story to explain to someone I've barely met." It wasn't just the tattoos that made a difference when she reincarnated. Her energy changed, sometimes her face changed, but she never lost a memory. All of her lives were inside of her head.

In all honesty, Zeryna didn't have a home to go to. She was in no rush to get anywhere, though she had to figure out where she was going to reside in the human realm, and how she was going to survive until her real home began to stabilize.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Xander was obviously relieved when she agreed to let him look through it. He smiled as he reached for the book, tucking it carefully under his arm, though he did not try to keep it away from here. She was gracious enough to let him hold it; it felt wrong to want to run off with it. "Well I have nowhere to bw, in particular. Want to go somewhere? We can talk over some food, or drinks." It sounded an awful lot like a date to a human, but to Xander, it was an opportunity to learn about a kind of immortal that he had never personally encountered before.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Zeryna shrugged with a nod. "I don't see why not. I've nowhere to be, so lead the way." She motioned towards the door, itching to be out of that dusty little shop back out into the human world. She'd learned all she could from that shop, and she had a feeling that Xander could tell her all that he knew of that realm while they discussed other things. Plus he'd get to look at that book.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:04 pm

Another smile came to the boys face as he led Zeryna out of the old shop and out into the world. The rain had slowed to a drizzle; Xander suspected that it would stop within a few hours. The city itself, though not huge, was conveniently compact it it came to the downtown area, which was dotted with lots eating and retail establishments. One in particular .

"Sorry, I don't really have a car. Just a motorcycle and my legs. Hope you don't mind a bit of walking." Exiting out into the night, Xander too a deep inhale from his cigarette then pointed to the south. "Ever had real Ramen noodles? Better than anything you will if in a different realm." He could not help but chuckle at the joke, but that was his way. With no one around to hear it, what harm could it do?

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum