Department of Investigative Services

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Department of Investigative Services

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:47 pm

"Easy," Ezra said softly as Ryliee started to stir. "Just take it slow." From the nightstand he picked up a glass of ice water, which he had originally gotten for himself but had no problem sharing or even donating if she needed it. From her slightly propped up position she would be able to drink from the glass without spilling. "You took a dive about halfway through. Hit pretty hard. Lucas and I carried you in here." Softly he was squeezing Ryliee's hand, his body betraying the calm demeanor on his face. Though he knew she could take care of herself, he was still upset that she was hurt.

"I'll give you an A for effort though."

Danry
Admin

View user profile http://domainofdemons.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:48 pm

"My fucking face hurts." Ryliee moaned, softly touching the tender skin. "And my leg.. Oh my fucking leg.." She shook her head, trying to breath calmly, though her stomach rolled threatening to empty its contents in her lap. "So.. I guess I lost, eh? I don't get to choose a reward." Ryliee was trying to focus on anything and everything but her throbbing appendage.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Reaching into a drawer in the nightstand, Ezra removed a small green bottle that had been tucked securely in the back. "Here is your reward if you want it. It's a recipe my father used to give me after pushing me so far beyond my limit that I thought I might die. More powerful than almost anything out there. Only takes a half." Ezra offered the bottle to Ryliee then awaited her answer.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Ryliee took the bottle in her free hand, while still holding Ezra's with her other. It had become something she was used to when she was bedridden and in massive amounts of pain, it was reassurance, it was comforting. She hardly noticed. Looking over the bottle, she sniffed it and raised an eyebrow. "Your father, eh?" Without waiting for his response, Ryliee took a long drink, scrunching her nose as a shiver tore through her. "What the hell is this?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:52 pm

"Father called it panacea. It's a collection of different herbs, ground up and pulverized, then added to a mixture of tree sap, spring water, and sugar." There were, of course, other ingredients, but Ezra did not know them. His father had kept the recipe to himself and took it to his grave. All the Meta had left was what was in storage, which was quite a bit, actually, given how much one would actually use it. "It tastes terrible, but it should start to kick in pretty quick. You'll be pretty buzzed again, but not so much that you'll do something stupid."

Taking the empty bottle from Ryliee, Ezra shifted on the bed so he was a little more comfortable, then took a look at the bruising. "You'll be right as rain tomorrow, but you'll need another dose of panacea before bed. I only use this stuff when it's a dire emergency. I don't know how to remake it so what's in the closet is what we have."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Ryliee closed her eyes and sighed, already feeling woozy. "I don't do stupid things. Everything I do is done with a reason. It's only stupid to those who don't understand." Opening her eyes again, she looked over at Ezra, tilting her head to the side. "Why did you do it?" Of course she was referring to him taking the fall for the agents death. Perhaps he didn't want her to go back to prison, but why? Didn't want a new partner? Maybe he wanted a mini vacation from work. She'd never gotten an explanation, but she wanted one. As she said: there was always a reason.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:53 pm

"Heh... speaking of stupid things, right?" Of course Ezra knew exactly to what Ryliee was referring. Why did he put his neck on the line for her? It seemed ludicrous, given their histories, and what could happen if the investigation concluded proving her to be the killer and Ezra taking the fall. Both of them would end up in super-max and would likely die there. Ezra's eyes darkened, but his grip on Ryliee's hand never wavered. He held it as one would hold a baby bird.

When Ezra did speak, it was thoughtful and practiced, for he had asked himself the very same question many times since then and knew exactly what the answer was. "Because I knew what they would think if they found out you did it. I knew what they would do, and you didn't deserve it. I know what it's like when the humans treat you more like a dangerous animal than a person."

What came next from Ezra's lips was not practiced. It was slightly broken, as if he were just starting to put the pieces of thought together. "And... I didn't want to lose you. I know we give each other shit a lot, and maybe it makes sense and maybe it doesn't but... I didn't want you to leave."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Ryliee grinned crookedly at Ezra, her eyes hazy; it was obvious she was buzzed again already. "Aw, you li~iike me." She teased. "You didn't want me to go~" She laughed tightening her grip on his hand, though it was weak. "I didn't want to go either," she spoke with a more serious tone. "Prison isn't fun. I was locked in solitary the whole time, it was so boring. I could have gotten out of I wanted to, though."

Lying her head back on the pillow, she sighed. Ryliee was tired and her leg hurt. "Do we have more fruit? I like grapes."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Ezra's cheeks and ears turned red, causing him to turn quickly away so she could no longer see his blushing features. He was grateful when Ryliee changed the subject, giving him an out without having to confirm or deny her insinuation. "No, I don't imagine it would have been. I've never been, but i've been in other situations." Of course she didn't want to go. It was either live with Ezra or go to prison, or be on her own. It was the logical choice, staying with him, as she couldn't take care of herself and she clearly didn't trust anyone else to take care of her until she had recovered.

After giving her hand one last small squeeze, Ezra went back to the kitchen, only to return a few minutes later with a bowl of red and green grapes. He had washed them thoroughly, but they remained quite cold from being in the main refrigerator. In his other hand was a cup of tea, from which steam leaked slowly into the air. "Here, I brought some tea too. It's good for healing and will help you relax."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Ryliee took the tea, taking a small sip from the steaming beverage. While she was usually more of a vodka drinker, the tea wasn't wholly awful and she found herself enjoying the taste. Grabbing a grape from the bowl, crisp and fresh, she crushed it between her teeth, grinning, enjoying the popping sound it made. "I like grapes because it sounds like I'm crushing tiny human skulls between my teeth."

Oblivious to anything going on around her, the female Meta continued to crush grapes as she ate them, occasionally sipping on the tea.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Ezra chuckled a bit after hearing of Ryliee's appreciation for grapes. He'd never heard the act of eating grapes described like that, but when he really thought about it, he could make the connection easily. Every time she put another grape in her mouth, he would imagine the terrified screams of the fruit as it realized its end had come. "That is twisted as hell. Also, I love it."

For a moment, Ezra sat still and quiet, lost in thought as his mind returned to their situation. For lack of better terms, she was stuck living in his home until she'd recovered. Eventually she would want to leave, so he would have to prepare for that. However, it seemed like a long way off, so Ezra pushed that thought aside and focused on the next one.

"I got an email from Glass. Says the investigation will probably take a while. They raided Bloom's personal computer and found it had been wiped completely. Destroyed paper documents in the fireplace. Standard cover-up procedures. Suspicious, but nothing damning yet. They're going to keep looking."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:59 pm

Ryliee rolled her eyes, gleefully crushing imaginary humans between her molars. "It's going to take them eons to find proof. All they have to do is look in my lab and analyze my blood. What about the restaurant footage? He drugged me there! Are they fucking stupid?"

"His computer was wiped? Did they even try to bypass his systems and back door his hard-drive? Even Bloom isn't smart enough to know that wiping your computer doesn't completely destroy everything. And there's no way in hell he developed those serums on his own. Phone contacts, recent calls, a burner phone perhaps? Jesus, humans are stupid." Even drugged and nearly half out of her mind with pain, Ryliees brain still processed information faster than should have been possible.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:00 pm

"Even I know that much. No. Wiped, as in deleted, magnetized, and dipped in homemade acid in the tub, all within 24 hours of your encounter with him. I think he had something prearranged in case anyone caught on to him. They're checking surveillance now." Ezra paused for a moment to consider their situation again, as he had done time and time again since Ryliee's operation. For the first time in a long time, there was some relative peace. That in and of itself concerned Ezra, for it was only when things seemed peaceful that all hell had already broken loose.

Turn his heterochromic eyes to Ryliee, Ezra took her hand in his as he had done so many times already and smiled. "Hurry and finish. I have a surprise for you."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:01 pm

"I don't like surprises." Ryliee mumbled, but she finished the grapes and tea with no complaints.

"Seriously, though, Bloom had help. He's a suit, not a scientist, and scientists squeal under pressure. Find them and the investigation is over, they'll rat him out faster than they can blink. Especially when they learn a Meta survived, and is out for blood." Ryliee knew that Bloom was dead, she'd felt the life leave him with her own two hands, but she wanted the ones who helped him to pay as well. What they did to her was unforgivable.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Man on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:17 pm

"Don't be so grumpy," Ezra said with a slight chuckle, taking her bowl and tea and placing them on the table. He squeezed Ryliee's hand, then stood and left the room for almost a full minute. When he returned, he did so with a rather large box, which he set on the night stand, managing only to knock over the desk lamp that sat atop the wooden furniture. With a quick slice from his pocket knife, the tape was cut, allowing the flaps of cardboard to spring open softly. Ezra reached inside and carefully withdrew some of the portable pieces of equipment from their office, specifically things that had been in Ryliee's lab.

Each piece Ezra showed off briefly. He had no idea what they did, but they were Ryliee's and she seemed to prefer their company over his much of the time they worked together. "I managed to get some of your stuff from the lab before they shut me out completely. The larger equipment I couldn't get, but if it wasn't bolted down or weighed two hundred pounds, I was able to get it here. I just... didn't want anyone getting in there and messing with things while we're gone." Ezra didn't bother to share the perils he faced doing so, for getting caught meant going to jail.

Machine Man
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum