Domain of Demons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Rise: Reborn

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

We Rise: Reborn - Page 2 Empty Re: We Rise: Reborn

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Thea's temperament seemed to be dwindling by the second. She appeared to William as though she might have suffered from heart failure until Fessik left the room. On top of that, though he could hear her stomach growling, she refused to eat. Was she trying to starve herself on purpose? Was it fear? Distrust? Suspecting there to be many components to her hesitation, William dismissed the probing questions and left his chair.

"Thea, you're not in any danger from me, unless you lie to me again. I can hear your stomach growling from here. If the window wasn't closed I would wager that those on the street below could also hear it." William's tone was firm, but not angry. He wanted Thea to understand that he meant business, using the authoritative voice to sway her actions, while simultaneously softening his words so she wasn't afraid of being beaten.

Slowly he plucked a few items from the platter and set them on the plate, an assortment of foods with different flavor profiles in case she wasn't sure what tasted good. He then held the plate out to the girl, motioning her to take it.

"Think of this logically: If I wanted to hurt or kill you, I would have done it a long time ago where no one would see or hear. You aren't worth anything to me dead. Also... you know, not everyone in this world is out to hurt you."

The last line was added a little indignantly, as if he somewhat resented the idea that she thought he might be just like the ones who kept her captive before. Had he not already proven that he was protecting her?

"Now, please... sit down and eat."

Danry
Admin

https://domainofdemons.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Bowing her head in apology, Thea took the plate from him, chewing on her lower lip anxiously. He may have saved her but she still didn't want to be on his bad side. And, the amount of food on the plate was more than she'd been given over the course of a week while in the cell.

Without so much as another sound, she sat and began to tentatively pick at the food he had given her. After the first few bites, she began to eat more confidently; having underestimated her hunger, she finished the plate within minutes, though it hadn't even touched her appetite. Casting a wary glance at the man whose name she still did not know, Thea moved back to the platter and hesitantly got more to eat.

When she finished the second plate, however, she did not go back for thirds. No longer did she feel starved, and while she was not full, something in the back of her mind told her that if she ate too much, or too fast, she would feel sick. So, she sat, staring at William, until he gave her further direction.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:42 pm

William let a hint of a smile curl his lips upward in one corner, watching Thea devour her food, even seeking a second helping. He would have advised her to slow down, but when he saw that she was doing that on her own, he held his tongue. It seemed that, despite her lack of memory, she knew where her limits were and considered them before going for a third plate. Rather than remarking on her ravenous appetite, William instead poured some water into a cup and placed it next to Thea's plate, after which he poured himself some wine from the bottle Fessik brought up.

After tasting the floral red drink, William placed his cup on the table then went to his pack. He dug around for a few minutes, finding smaller devices he had already built, and some others that were not yet finished. Next he picked up a small sack containing his tools and began spreading things out on the table, picking at his food here and there but not going full tilt as he has seen Thea do.

Another knock came to the door, this one considerably more gentle than Fessik's. Before William even had time to dig into his hobby, he stood and opened the door a crack to see who was there. Fessik's daughter Nilsa stood on the other side, her thin arms wrapped around a small pile of clothing. She smiled at William as he came into view, a rather pretty smile on a pretty face. Only a few years younger than Thea appeared to be, Nilsa was quite lovely, especially compared to many of the other females in town. Still, no one bothered her, knowing full well that her father would tear through anyone that tried to take advantage of his little girl.

"Hello William. Papa told me that you were back, and that your companion needs something clothes. I brought some things up, in case she wanted some."

"Nilsa you are a generous host. Please, just put them on the bed."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

As the newest addition to the room, a girl, moved to put the clothes on the bed she cast a glance toward Thea. In comparison, the beaten down girl looked like an old piece of trash, but she made no remark, only raising her eyebrow slightly at her appearance. Even though nothing had been said, no dirty looks given, Thea could feel the judgement radiating from her. Shying away, and casting her gaze to the ground, Thea remained quiet. Her body impossibly immobile, posture rigid and frightened. She didn't even move to drink the water that William had poured for her.

The girl seemed kind, bringing clothes for her to wear, but there was a nagging at the back of her mind, a heavy pit in her stomach. It was almost like her presence was purposefully trying to intimidate Thea, assert dominance over her. It didn't help that they were speaking, again, in that foreign tongue. Not knowing what they were speaking about was worse than not speaking at all.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

"I appreciate your generosity Nilsa. So does my friend." William could easily feel the tension in the room, an unprovoked animosity toward Thea, but he chose to try to mitigate it rather than sever it all together. "She just can't speak right now."

"Aww... poor thing." Though Nilsa was a decent actress, it was not impossible to detect her sarcasm. "You'll call on me if you need help with your bath, won't you William?" Nilsa had no way of knowing that Thea could not understand, either, or she would have made a visual show of possession. William, however, understood exactly what she meant.

"Be nice, Nilsa. She's my guest."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Theas eyes drifted up as the tones in their voices shifted. She may have been frail, and have no understanding of what was being said, but she was far from stupid. A surge of anger welled up in her chest, and she lifted her head, only slightly to stare at the girl, fire behind her eyes. The temperature in the room seemed to shift, growing warmer, almost stuffy.

For a split second a frown tugged on her lips, but as quickly as it had come, it was gone. The anger dissipated and once again Thea cast her eyes to her hands, folded in her lap, fingers laced tightly. The heat in the room also vanished, causing Thea to tremble at the now cool air against her skin. No other movement was made by the girl, nor would there be until Nilsa left.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Both William and Nilsa felt the sudden temperature change, though neither of them understood why it was happening. William's eyes glanced at the hot water machine briefly, but when the heat died away he brought his attention back to Nilsa. "Alright, thank you Nilsa. I promise I will call for you if I need anything." Clearly irritated by the young girl's attitude, William opened the door and excused Nilsa before she could cause any more damage. Normally he found her attempts to gain his affection cute and endearing, but at her age she could not understand the complexities of nuance.

With a pouty look on her face, Nilsa exited the room, leaving Thea and William alone again. William switched back to Dread speech, after sighing and rubbing his face with the palms of his hands. "I'm sorry for that. Nilsa's not quite old enough to understand when to stop talking. Normally she's very pleasant." Returning to the glass of wine, William drained its contents and poured himself a refill. His eyes barely left Thea's face, however, noting the sadness and in her eyes.

"I don't think I ever told you my name... It's William."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:44 pm

"William," Thea murmured softly, lifting her head to look at him, testing the word on her lips. "She like you, she not like me." There was something about Nilsa that put her off, made her feel uncomfortable. It caused unfamiliar feelings rise, uncharacteristic temptations and urges pushing forward from deep inside her mind. Nothing like that had happened before so it made her nervous, more unanswered questions rising.

Not wanting to dwell on it anymore, Thea gently grabbed the glass of water William had gotten for her before Nilsa came into the room, and began to sip it. Unable to shake the feelings the other girl had brought, Thea frowned again, her eyes focusing on the water. Her grip on the glass tightened, heat flaring up in the room once again. Fire danced behind the Phoenix's eyes, the water in her glass suddenly boiling.

With a cry of surprise, Thea dropped the cup, the glass shattering on the floor, scattering. Jumping back, Thea stumbled on her feet, falling backwards.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 pm

"She's very jealous. I figured she would be unhappy by our coming here, but I brought us anyway. She'll get over it." The interaction, though brief, had very clearly made a lasting impression on Thea. The way she stared into her cup, he could have sworn that she was staring at her own reflection, as if it held some secret from her. Perhaps it did, provided that she could not remember much of anything it seemed, including why someone would want to capture her, or pay a large some of money to get her back.

To his amazement, the longer Thea stared at the cup, the more steam began to pour from it, until William could hear the water rolling and churning as it boiled. The whole thing seemed to surprise Thea just as much as it did himself. Like a flash, William was out of his chair, managing to get behind Thea just in time. Though he couldn't keep her on her feet, he was able to make sure that she landed softly. His back hit the floor, his arms around Thea's waist so that she sits back on his stomach.

The glass of water hit the floor and shattered into pieces, spreading the steaming water across the wooden floor. William looked on, growing more curious by the second. "What the hell was that? Thea... did you do that?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Thea didn't answer William right away, her wide eyed gaze on the steaming water clinging to the broken shards of glass. Had she done that? How could she have? Nothing made sense. As if realizing she was still on top of William, Thea rolled off of him moving to clean up the shards of glass.

"I... no, I don't know... no.." Thea stumbled over her answer, truly not knowing the answer. Gathering the jagged pieces of the cup, she stared at her hands questioningly. It was true that she had been upset at the way the other girl had treated her, but she'd never done anything like that before. Even through all of the beatings nothing had seemed out of the ordinary. Though, her cell was significantly warmer than the rest of the dank underground she'd been locked in.

Maybe she had done it. But, how?

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:49 pm

William laid on the floor, his back a little sore from the fall as he watched the steam rise from the floorboards until the spilled water had cooled. It wasn't surprising for someone to possess magical talents. In fact, William had become quite accustomed to meeting them. Some were friends while others were enemies, but all were dangerous. What concerned him was not Thea's possession of magic, but her inability to control it, or to recognize that she even carried the energy within her. How could she not know?

After a few seconds, William pushed himself off his butt, rubbing it sorely as his eyes rose to the nearly petrified Thea, who had started to collect the pieces of the shattered cup. The weight and gravity of the situation had grown thicker and more robust. Thoughts swirled in his head, varying just as the snowflakes that would soon fall in the valley. Could he honestly give someone up for a price when she herself had no idea why? He was a thief, and he liked being rich, but that didn't mean he was completely amoral.

"Have a seat," William said, his fingertips touching the back of Thea's neck to get her attention softly. He then moved to a drawer and withdrew a thick cloth, dyed red but appearing to be clean as a whistle. A lever near the sink was pulled, releasing a small stream of water which eventually grew in temperature, a product of William's own genius and ingenuity. "Let's get you cleaned up. We've a long way to go tomorrow."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Discarding the pieces of glass in a wastebasket, Thea moved over to by the sink, the steaming water drawing her attention away from the scene before. She sat as instructed and just watched him, her trembling hands held in front of her, clenched tightly together. The whole day had her on her last nerves, what with being taken by a stranger, the rude woman, and then the mysterious boiling water.

What could possibly happen with a rag and hot water? The only thing that could come of it was to see how truly pale and bruised she was underneath all the dirt and grime. Truthfully she didn't want William to see. Surly she already looked weak, and helpless, a sad little defenseless thing; what would he think once he saw how much of her darkened skin was not dirt, but bruises and cuts?

"You are kind, William."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:52 pm

"Heh, don't say that too loudly. I have a reputation to maintain." William chuckled genuinely for the first time since they'd met, amused by her statement but slightly surprised by it. Had he been particularly nice to Thea? Had he lead her to believe that he was a kind, charitable person? Of course those questions happened to come to mind just as he started carefully wiping the dirt away, starting from her forehead and working his way down.

His strokes were gentle but meticulous; William was taking great care to not press too hard, but to get as much dirt as his keen eyes could see. What hid underneath was supple skin marred with bruises, cuts, and scrapes, and as each new injury was unveiled, his hard hart chipped ever so slightly. Her body and her spirit and been damaged significantly by her captors, a form of abuse William knew all to well. Her pains reminded him of the scars he wore under his clothes, the long nights spent huddled in the corner of a crumbling building, struggling to stay warm, or pressed against a wall, a simple knife in one hand and a bit of bread in the other while the baker's sons pounded on the locked door.

Over and over he dipped the cloth in the hot water, which was turning brown rather quickly from washing away dirt and dried blood. At first, he said nothing, but once he saw how Thea wrung her hands with nervousness, he decided that a bit of light conversation might help the both of them. But what was he supposed to say? How could he ask a girl about herself if even she did not know?

"You know fire magic is really useful. Keeps you warm. Protects you. You can make pictures with it. If it was you that boiled the water, you've done in a few seconds what took me weeks to figure out."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Again her eyes drifted down towards her hands, and she shook her head slightly, ruffling her dirty locks. "I feel it," Thea murmured. "It is under my skin, hot, moving. I don't know why, or how, but I know it is there." She cast a wary glance at William noting his eyes on her marred flesh. Her cheeks tinted pink, turning her face away, as she chewed nervously on her lip.

Her eyes traveled down her body, and she frowned softly. "I did not understand. A book of those," Thea pointed at the symbols and words decorating Williams arms, "they yelled, waving in my face. I do not understand the words they speak." For reasons unknown to her, she wanted him to understand, to believe her when she said she had no memory. "I woke up there. In that dark place, alone. I do not remember before."

The longer Thea spoke, the more she used words, the clearer her voice became, as if she was remembering how to speak properly. "I could feel their fear of me. I don't know why, but even as they hurt me, they were afraid of me."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:54 pm

After he reach the base of Thea's neck, he stopped, moving to her shoulders and upper arms, for it would not have been appropriate to continue along the path he was on. He liked women, but he was no scumbag. The pink tint in her lips did not go unnoticed, though William did not think much of it, believing that the thin, weakened girl in front of him had not received any kind of positive physical contact in her entire memory.

"That's because they were speaking a different language. You speak Dread. They don't. You also seem to recognize these marks, which is amazing to me because even I don't understand them." Finishing one arm, William pivoted slightly, turning his hips as he turn Thea's shoulders so he could reach the other arm.

"I know what it's like to wake up in an unfamiliar place alone. It's hard, but you can shake it off if you try." William's touch was soft, careful not to cause any additional pain, constantly looking up to measure her facial reactions.

"Don't worry. We will get you back to your people and you can start to recover from there. You'll be ok."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sat May 13, 2017 12:55 pm

"My people?" The look on her face was lost, and confused, a frown tugging at her lips. "I don't have people. They would have come for me if I had anyone that cared." Thea watched William work, flinching every now and then as his fingers, though moving delicately, came across a particularly tender piece of flesh. Reaching up with her cleaned hand, she ran her fingers along one of the words tattooed on his arm without thinking. "It's familiar, I recognize these words, but I don't know what they mean. It's old language."

Her hand fell back down into her lap, flexing her bruised fingers. "Are you a Dread, too?" She paused and shook her head as if dismissing the thought. "Couldn't be. You speak their words... but you speak mine." Even as she tried to comprehend the world around her, something new came up to confuse her. There was so much she didn't understand. Why couldn't she remember?

"Do you think the man you are bringing me to is my people? Will he help me get better, too?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Man Tue May 16, 2017 1:04 pm

William paused for a moment, his eyes dead set on Thea's fingers as she traced the symbols tattooed on his skin. No one had ever touched him like that before, absolutely no one. He spent his entire life in the company of people who wanted something, who used his as a means to an end. William knew it almost every time; he was good at recognizing when he was being manipulated. Thea wanted nothing from him, however. She sought no money or power. She did not ask him to do anything, with the exception of a few answers.

He could not deny her logic, an ideal that brought a shiver to his spine. She was absolutely right. If someone cared about you, they would go to any length to keep you safe. The more they talked, the more William began to see the parallels in their past. "I'm not anything," he finally replied, his voice quieter than normal. "I learned both languages so that I could pass for both. There's more work for someone like me when you don't pick sides."

It was Thea's next two questions that gave him reason to pause again. She may have had no memory of what events had taken place before she awoke in that dark place, but she was insightful and curious. Perhaps she was picking up on the same feeling he had.

"I don't usually ask questions when I take a job. It's less complicated that way." William forced his mouth closed, before he spoke again without thinking. Thea needed consoling, to know that everything was going to be okay, but he couldn't bring himself to lie to her. He honestly did not know why the man wanted her so badly, and the more he got to know the mysterious girl with the missing memory, an uneasy feeling was building in his gut.

'Help her you idiot...' he thought silently to himself.

Machine Man
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2