Domain of Demons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aberrant: A New Beginning

2 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Aberrant: A New Beginning - Page 3 Empty Re: Aberrant: A New Beginning

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:54 pm

"And if you don't stop, you could run us off the road or into oncoming traffic." The sentence was not meant to sound like an accusation, or as a discredit to her skill and endurance. Ezra meant the comment to be an observation, a comparison to what could happen. He also feared an ambush, but he could hardly see what other choice they had. "If they can ambush us off the road, then could do so on the road. If that happens, neither one of us will be much good in a fight. If we stop, we can at least get some rest."

Again Ezra floated back into the past, in a time of non-stop battling and survival. It seemed like so long ago, though the memories were still fresh in his mind. He'd been in that very situation time and time again, and he was not always correct in his decision making. Sometimes he was very wrong, and had to live with those mistakes. Other times, he was right, and everything worked out.

"We take a risk either way... but I do need to know. Who are they and why do they want you so badly?"

Danry
Admin

https://domainofdemons.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:55 pm

EEzra was right, and Jade knew it. But she didn't know if she could make herself stop the car. Her mind was racing, fueled by fear. "I don't know who they are... And they... They want me..." She struggled to get the words out, moisture brimming her lids. "I'm their cash cow. I escaped. I've... I've killed so many people.." Her voice shook, her chest heaving as she tried to calm herself, regain her composure. Jade remained quiet for a few minutes, her eyes on the road. "I do not regret a single life." Her eyes went cold, forcing her mask back up in to place.

Memories, fractured and broken, ran through her mind. The cheer of the crowd, boos from those who doubted her. Bones cracking, the feel of blood on her hands. 'Finish him,' the words echoed in her mind; the memory, the feeling of snapping someone's neck, of beating them to death with her bare hands. A shudder rolled down her spine, and she breathed deep. "Where is the nearest place we can stop to rest?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Narrowing his eyes slightly, Ezra made it a point to note the change in her demeanor, letting the silence linger for a few more minutes while he processed everything. His eyes had remained locked on her throughout the thoughtful time, and did not waver until he spoke. "As far as I can tell, we have two options. We either try to find a major exit and get somewhere low-key to stay, or take a service road, get off the beaten path, and sleep in the car. I don't think one is any safer than the other." His gaze returned to the road, watching the yellow dashes dive under their vehicle. Clearly her memories had come back to haunt her, just as his own did to him. A goal suddenly became clear, to help her banish her past.

"Cash cows are easy enough to replace. There are more dangerous Aberrants than we in the world. Are you sure that's the only reason?" It seemed illogical for them to go to such great lengths just to return an Aberrant. Perhaps she knew something that they did not want disclosed, or stole something valuable from them. Maybe there was some sort of strange honor or reputation at stake. Whatever the reason, the threat was real and certainly not something to underestimate. "What are the chances of them sending someone more powerful after you?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:57 pm

"I am not just a cash cow. I cannot be replaced." Jade said stonily. She'd been there for years, she was the only one who had escaped and lived. She knew that place, inside and out, their secrets, their lies. Their fears. "So far they have only sent humans, as far as I know there is no one stronger than me under their thumb." Pausing, considering, Jade shrugged. "But if there was someone the chances are high. They want me back or dead." With her eyes on the road, she didn't see, but she felt Ezra watching her, not that she cared much. She was a mystery to him, an unknown and she planned on staying that way. The less he knew the safer he'd be. Her mask slip was because of her exhaustion, she reasoned, nothing more nothing less and she was determined not to let it happen again.

A few minutes before Ezra woke up she'd seen a sign for a small city. A hotel stop for drivers traveling the highway. "I've had enough sleeping on benches and under boxes. I think I'd prefer a bed this time." Jade took the exit and followed road signs to a pretty rundown motel. "You are bloody and kind of noticeable. I'll go in and get a room."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:58 pm

"Then I can only assume there is. They'll come for you again. We need to have a plan. But let's get settled before we go through that." Ezra's words weren't the most light, or pleasant, but they served their purpose. He wasn't angry with her, but was dubious of her intentions. What did she want? Why did she stay there so long? What else was she hiding? He couldn't exactly fault her for hiding everything, as he was guilty of the same thing. Knowing that the truth would be revealed at some point or another, Ezra determined that, after eating and resting, it was time for them to come clean with each other.

When they pulled up to the hotel, Ezra slowly eased himself out of the vehicle. He needed to stretch. Needed to be on his feet. It wasn't fun being cooped up in a car for so long. Carefully he moved back and forth, waiting for Jade to return with the room keys. He wanted a shower, and to eat until he was stuffed. The rest would come later.

"Don't get caught," he said as he moved toward the hatch of the car.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:59 pm

Jade rolled her eyes and walked into the main office of the hotel. She was only gone for a minute or so but returned with keys to a hotel room. Reaching in to the car she grabbed some supplies and turned to Ezra. "I only bought a few snacks earlier. If you want something more substantial I can order delivery or something. I don't know about you but I just want to eat and sleep." She turned and walked down to their room, it wasn't much: two beds, a tv, a bathroom, towels blankets and pillows. Basic hotel things, nothing extravagant.

Jade could tell that Ezra wanted to know more about her, and though her curiosity about him burned she wasn't sure she was ready to talk. There was just too much information, all of which could get him killed. He was obviously nothing to the people that hunted her as they already tried to kill him. She contemplated waiting for him to fall asleep and leaving but the probability of her surviving on her own much longer were slim to none. For the time being she had to stick with him.

She set the stuff down on one of the tables and sat on the bed closer to the window, making sure the curtains were drawn and the blinds were down. She could take no chances. Not anymore.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:59 pm

'Eat and sleep.'

Two very basic functions that so many people took for granted. Those in Jade's and Ezra's situation tended to look at those actions as luxuries, something they could scarcely afford most of the time. But regardless of the danger, it had to be done. Ezra thought on the two terms for a long moment, looking into the deeper meaning within them. She did not want to talk. It bothered the young man, mostly because he felt like he deserved some answers, but also because he wanted to apologize. Ezra felt bad that his hideout had been so easily compromised, and that she again was forced to flee for her life while under his watch. He had failed, just as he had failed before.

Ezra was quiet as they made their way through the hotel corridors to their room. It was simple and plain, suiting his tastes just fine. He had little to carry, just some clothes he kept in the car in case they were needed. In all honesty he did not know if he had anything that Jade could wear, but he wondered if she even cared. "I'm going to shower. I'll be quick."

Without delay, Ezra headed into the bathroom, turned on the water, and stripped down. His clothes were dirty and blood-soaked; swiftly he grabbed the bag out of the garbage can and wrapped up the soiled linens so they could be stashed and disposed of later. After a moment to observe his state of being in the mirror, he turned on the water and let it heat up, causing steam to slowly build up within the small tiled room. The water was hot against his skin, but felt good, almost spiritual. To shower was to wash away his sins, though the memories never circled the drain, nor did his guilt.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:01 pm

The meta watched her companion go into the bathroom and waited a moment before she moved. Locking the door, and windows she made sure they were not followed; once she was satisfied she laid back on the bed. Jade tried to sleep, tried to close her eyes and let the world fall away, but every time she was close her body jerked itself awake. Fear was creeping in again. How long had they been there? What was that noise? Her body began to tremble, and she curled up, pulling her knees to her chest, trying to block it all out.

It wasn't working.

Jade knew in the darkest recesses of her mind, that they were going to find her. They were going to take her back, torture her, and throw her back in the ring. Her mask slipped again, tears slowly rolling down her cheeks as she silently cried, clinging to herself tightly as if that would protect her. Why did she have to be different? Why was she forced to hurt- to kill- others?

"I can't go back.." She whispered to herself as she choked back a sob. No longer did she care that Ezra could walk out of the bathroom at any second. None of it mattered if she was just going to be sent back to that hell.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:02 pm

The shower wasn't a long one, but it didn't take long for the water to start to lose its warmth. Ezra wasn't particularly surprised, though he was disappointed. It was nice to feel in control again, despite the pain in his side as a reminder of the night they'd experienced. Staying in long enough for the water to run clear, Ezra finally turned the knobs and stepped dripping wet onto the cold tile floor, which was dingy and unappealing. He dried off with a cheap towel then reached into his bag and removed his backup clothes from his last romp in that area, which consisted of a dark red t-shirt, a pair of loose-fitting jeans, boxers, and a hooded jacket, though he decided against wearing the jacket. He was warm enough already.

After running his fingers through his hair and rubbing the fatigue out of his eyes, Ezra patted his stomach, which continued to rumble at random but brief intervals. It was beyond time for food, but he knew he needed to take things one step at a time. Quietly he opened the door and made his way back into the main room, his bare feet padding softly on the severely under-padded carpet. Much to his surprise, Jade was curled up on her bed, sobbing and speaking softly to herself. It was a moment of vulnerability that he had not expected to see by then, a crack in the armor she worked so hard to preserve. He stood and stared at her for a moment, studying her in every way he could before crossing the room and sitting on the bed she rested on.

At first, Ezra wasn't sure what to say. He'd been in similar circumstances before, seen friends and loved ones fall into a suffocating sadness, but he knew so little about Jade, making it difficult for him to offer any encouraging or logical words of comfort. After a few awkward seconds, he placed his hand gently on the back of her shoulder. Ezra made no effort to move her, and did not even speak, choosing instead to be a safe place for her to vent her pent up emotions. Words seemed trivial; Ezra was always a man who believed in the power of action. So there he sat, with his hand on her shoulder, warm to the touch and trying to convey an aura of safety.

She reminded him so much of himself.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Lost in her sadness, in her fear, Jade didn't hear Ezra come into the room. She didn't hear his footsteps on the carpet, didn't notice the shower had stopped; she did notice, however, that it was slightly warmer in the room, but she didn't know it was him. Feeling the bed dip slightly where he sat alerted her to his presence, though he had already seen her mask slip, there was no need to try to hide it now. Jade was startled though and her body went rigid when he placed his hand on her back, but after a moment she relaxed slightly, curling into herself her grip tightening.

Only crying for a few minutes more, the tears finally stopped, but she remained silent. She didn't know what to say. No one had ever consoled her before, she was confused and unsure of what to do. After a moment, she sat up and wiped her eyes, turning to look at him. "Thank you," her voice cracked when she spoke, so she cleared her throat. "I imagine you have questions..."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Ezra sat motionless until Jade's crying finally subsided. He wondered how long it had been since anyone had shown her even an ounce of compassion, though he assumed it must have been a very long time. When she straightened out, he let his hand fall to the bed.

"I do. Who are they? How long did they keep you? What did they do to you in there?" Many more questions filled his mind, but he spoke none of them out loud. Instead, he shifted gears. "I have questions, but you don't have to answer them. We have both done things that we would rather not discuss. I think the important thing to remember is that we are no longer alone."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Ezra's last sentence nearly made her cry again, but she gritted her teeth against the urge and took a deep steadying breath instead. She'd shed enough tears already. Considering his questions, Jade bit her lip, her brow furrowing as she struggled to recall her fractured memory.

"I don't mind your questions, you were kind to me, a stranger. I owe you answers." She shook her head, "I used to know who they were, but I-.. I can't anymore... The drugs, they fucked with my head. I've been there for years.. How long exactly I don't know, I counted the days once. Pretty sure I was in the thousands when I gave up. They'd, uhm, put me in a Ring with a human, they'd give them a weapon and we'd fight. The regulars would bet on me despite my size, but the new customers always lost. Betting against me, I'm... Small.. They didn't think I could win. I always win." Jade frowned, desperately trying to remember. "At night I was given a pill... It made me... Weaker.. Tired. They used to watch me take it, but after so long they grew complacent and I stopped. That's how I got out, but I still.. My memories are in pieces... I'm sorry I can't give you more.."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Ezra listened to the tale will soft, understanding eyes. He knew very well what it felt like to be matched in competition with others, though many of them were other metas. He could see the confusion and frustration in her eyes and knew she was telling the truth. The pain behind her irises was real. When Jade finished her story, Ezra spoke softly, barely above a whisper.

"Thank you... for telling me. I know what it's like to carry such a burden, full of death and violence. The past never truly leaves us, but we have the ability to change our future. What happened to you is horrible, and I am very sorry you had to go through that. But if you will let me, I will do everything in my power so that no one ever has to go through it ever again."

Ezra's own shaded past still lingered in his mind, but it felt good to have a mission again, a purpose. He may not have been the most warm-natured person, but if he was good at only one thing, it was destruction and death.

"But before you answer, you should know what kind of company you are in."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Jade stared at Ezra, trying to figure out what he meant by the kind of company she was in. It couldn't have been that bad considering he had saved her, gave her a place to clean up, and helped her escape only earlier that night. What did the past matter when in a few hours he'd shown her nothing but kindness? But she was curious. He knew about violence, being faced with horror and death, she could see it in his face.

"Okay," she said slowly, wiping the rest of the tears from her face. Jade pulled one of the bags of snacks from the table and laid out an assortment of things between them so they could eat while they talked. She wasn't sure about him, but she was definitely hungry.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Ezra watched quietly as the various snacks were laid out on the soft-ish fabric of the bed on which he and Jade were seated. Part of him wanted to leave before he spoke another word, but he kept himself rooted. Though he was never one to run away from a challenge, the gravity of the situation made him feel very small and vulnerable. It hadn't really occurred to Ezra that, because he had never told anyone what happened or who he really was, he had no idea how to explain it. What was he to say?

"When the anti-Aberrant riots first started, I was in a... well some sort of school, i'd guess you'd call it." The bit of Russian accent returned to Ezra's voice. "There was a lady who was the spokesperson, rallying people against us. I don't know if you remember, but her killer does. It was fast in the grand scheme of things... minutes really. But she felt every second, laid at my feet in agony. But it didn't stop there."

"I kept fighting. I made the choice to kill, and I was very good at it. Humans, Aberrants... it didn't matter. I didn't always try to kill them, but that's how it turned out most of the time. Someone I cared about... someone I trusted and lo-..." Ezra stopped for a moment to clear his throat before continuing. His hands went to a bag of chip, opening the bag carefully though he reached for none of them.

"She went off on her own. Got herself caught by a local mob. I tried to save her but they... they crucified her, then tried to burn her at the stake. I coul-... couldn't save her. When I finally got her down, she was already gone. In my rage I killed them. All of them, whether they had anything to do with it or not. I turned them into ash."

The memory caused a chill to run down Ezra's spine. When his story was over, he looked down at the old bed sheets, too ashamed to look at Jade. "I'm a fugitive."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Jade wasn't sure how to react. For a long moment after he finished she just sat and stared in silence. That was horrible. Reaching out towards him, she hesitated. How did one person comfort another? Never having the opportunity to experience basic human things her hand hovered in the air between them. Lowering her arm, Jade shifted and did something she'd read in a book once. Jade hugged him.

"I'm so sorry for your loss." She whispered quietly. Loss was nothing new to her, but she'd never had a loved one to lose. It was always strangers, unknowns, she could only imagine the pain of losing someone she cared about. And he had lived that pain. So he was a fugitive, so what? He had rightfully become so in her eyes after what had been done to him. Those people deserved what they got. Every single one of them.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:13 pm

Ezra sat silent, stunned by Jade's show of affection. It may not have meant anything more than a comforting gesture, but it did have an effect on him. After the shock started to wear off, he slowly brought up his arms and wrapped them gently around her. It was nice to feel someone else's presence in that way; he'd felt so alone for a very long time. But with her warm embrace, he felt somewhat peaceful. Naturally his body warmed slightly, something that always seemed to happen when he felt a bit of kindness and happiness.

"It was a long time ago. We've all lost someone." He pulled her in slightly before eventually releasing her. Though he wasn't sure how often she hugged people, but given her nature it seemed like it was not a regular occurrence. He didn't want to press his luck, even if he enjoyed it immensely. "I just thought you should know. I don't think either of us are safe for each other, but i'd say we're worst off going alone from here."

Ezra took a look around the room, then down at their humble meal. Nostalgia quickly grew in his chest, taking over his thoughts, his actions, and his words. For just a little while, he decided to let down his guard and try to spend some time with another person as if they were completely normal. "So... how about we just kick back for a little while. Maybe order a pizza and watch a movie?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:15 pm

To say that Jade was confused would have been a slight understatement. Pizza and a movie? She knew what that was from books she'd been allowed to read in her cell-like room but never actually experienced either of them. They both sounded nice, but could they be as good as the hug had felt? Reading about something and experiencing it for the first time were two separate feelings, and that hug, however short it was, was warm and really nice.

"Okay, I.. I'd like that." Jade pulled her crumpled money from her pocket and laid it out in front of them. When she'd escaped, she snatched a bunch of money from the bookies, but she never counted it out. She was just short of a grand in that crumpled pile. "Will that be enough?" As odd as it sounded, money never held any value to her. She just knew that in order to survive it was needed. Obviously she could count and she knew there was a lot there, but pizza and a movie were foreign to her, their monetary value a mystery, as were most things.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Ezra breathed a sigh of relief. Even after he spoke it, he knew the request was absolutely ludicrous. Nevertheless, she had accepted. Though he felt bad for offering to spend her money for her, it appeared that she had plenty to get them wherever they needed to go. He chuckled as Jade laid out the money, a wad of crumpled bills. There was definitely enough there to get them through the night, so he picked out a few bills, then straightened out the rest of them, turned them the same direction and in order, then handed them back to Jade.

"More than plenty. Keep the rest of it safe. You might need it later. We can have them deliver the pizza, and we can order movies from here so we don't have to go anywhere for them." At that, Ezra plucked a tall, narrow sheet of card stock, on which was the recommendation to several local eateries. He zeroed in on a pizza place while handing the remote to Jade.

"Why don't you find something decent on TV and i'll get the food ordered. Any toppings you'd like or not like?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:17 pm

"I don't know. I've never had it before." Jade looked at the remote to the television and started pushing buttons until one of them turned it on. She stared for a long moment at the screen with wide eyes; it may have seemed like innocent wonder because that's what it was. Jade had been locked away for years, her only connection to the world was through her books. Seeing a tv for the first time was new and fascinating.

With a half grin on her face she began to click through the channels one by one until she reached a guide of the hotel channels. There she stopped, watching and waiting for something longer than thirty minutes to appear. "What's 'XXX Avengers'?" She asked tilting her head to the side, a confused, inquisitive look on her face.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Ezra watched as Jade flipped through channels, looking very much like a child staring at the animals in a zoo. Full of wonder and amazement were her eyes; it was clear to him that she'd never even seen a TV before, much less used one. It made him sad, though he chuckled slightly. It was refreshing to see someone who felt no entitlement. Smiling as he spoke, he covered the receiver and spoke in a hushed voice. "Fair enough. I'll get some variety then."

Briefly he spoke to the kid on the other side of the phone line from Domino's. He ordered a meat-lover's pizza, as well as a vegi-lover's, just to make sure he covered all the bases. They could always pick off the toppings they didn't want, though he did make sure that one side of the meaty pizza had mushrooms on it. Lastly he asked for some garlic bread, ranch, and a soda. It seemed to him that Jade had no chances of living a normal life up to that point, so he wanted the experience to be as detailed as possible. Ezra was placed on hold while the cashier totaled up the order, only catching half of her question.

"Hmm? I don't know... I don't get to go to movies. I've heard of The Avengers though. Some sort of superhero story though. Supposed to be pretty good." He then turned back to the phone conversation, wrapping everything up and setting the delivery address. After hanging up, Ezra sat back down on the bed behind Jade and started to count out the cash. "Food should be here in about fifteen minutes."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Jade clicked on the movie, and it was normal for a few minutes, though the acting was a little forced. She liked it until the clothes started coming off. Watching with wide eyes, her cheeks heated up to a bright red, her hand gripping the remote tightly, knuckles white. Jade had no idea what to do. This was not a normal movie. It was porn.

"O-oh, my God..." Jade gasped and fumbled with the remote until she found the right button to flick it off. She stared, open mouthed, at the screen, her reflection staring back with wide eyed embarrassment. What now? She tried to find a movie and ended up finding something much much worse.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Machine Man Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Ezra counted out the cash with tip, completely oblivious to what was happening. He paid no attention to the tv, his head buried in his work. It was until the music started to play that he looked up at the box with a perplexed look on his face. That was when he saw it. While he wasn't sure who any of them were, it seemed that they were undressing each other in a hurry, which tipped the young man off that what they were watching was not exactly what he was expecting.

His mouth hung open for a moment, completely surprised by what he happened, and he wasn't able to regain himself until after Jade finally managed to turn the tv off. "Uhm... yeah not what I was thinking... sorry." Ezra was not embarrassed by nudity; the time for modesty skipped over him very quickly. But seeing sex in that manner was something he wasn't prepared for. As embarrassed as he was, and as much as he wanted to hide the red in his cheeks and the sharply increased body heat, he could not bring himself to stand.

Machine Man
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3