Domain of Demons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Animal In Me

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Animal In Me - Page 6 Empty Re: The Animal In Me

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Morning came late that day as the sun hid behind dark menacing clouds. There was no wind, but the smell of rain permeated the air. Lex, as promised, kept the fire burning, though as the night began to fade he let it die down a bit. No sense in wasting perfectly good firewood, especially if they needed to return to the cottage. Liliya's appearance was sudden and brief; she barely muttered a single word to him before walking out the door. Clearly she still had a sore spot.

After a bit of scrounging, Lex managed to find some bread and cheese, along with some turnips and bottles of fermented grapes in a small crawl space under the floor. It wasn't much, or the freshest, but it would satisfy hunger for a while. They would have to hunt and forage if they wanted to travel back to The Doctor's tower.

Taking the items outside, he placed them on a tree stump near Liliya, though not too close. Detecting that she still needed space, Lex decided to go around the back of the property and see if there were any useful items they might take with them. It may have been stealing, but frankly Lex did not care.

Danry
Admin

https://domainofdemons.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Liliya stood on the side of the house, her bow pulled taut in her hands. There was a look of concentration on her face as she just stood there, not releasing the bow. Her arms did not shake, her body absolutely still save for her breathing, which was slow and even. Closing her eyes for a moment, she listened, the early morning chirps echoing in the forest.

Suddenly, she turned and fired straight into the air. A second later, a bird dropped, lying dead at her feet. Opening her eyes, she frowned, removing the arrow from the birds head. "Sloppy." She said softly. Once again pulling the bowstring back, Liliya, this time, aimed between the trees, pointed toward the middle of a trunk a few hundred yards in. A deep inhale, a slow exhale. A soft whap! as she released the arrow once again, followed by a thmp!

Stuck to the tree was a red squirrel, pinned to the trunk by its tail. "Hm." She seemed dissatisfied.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 pm

Inside, Lex found very little in the way of useful items. Some old farm equipment, food stuffs, and some personal items. Nothing noteworthy. After a few minutes, Lex made his way to the back of the farmhouse and poked around the property, finding an ax, some other tools, and some livestock. The family dog, a grungy old mutt, meandered his direction. Lex leaned forward and gave him a scratch behind the ears. Was that what it meant to be normal? Own a dog, a house, and farm the land while you raised a family? He'd all but forgotten what it was like to be human. The doctor had taken everything from him, including his ability have a life.

Finally, after the fruitless venture through the area, Lex returned to the area where he'd left Liliya. She'd been practicing with her bow, with impressive results. She seemed unenthusiastic, but the monster man was visibly admiring her work. "You know, if you keep shooting like that, that bastard doctor doesn't stand a chance."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:15 pm

"Keep shooting like what?" Liliya asked dryly, turning to face Lex. "This would result in a reprimand from Oleksy for embarrassing him. I need to be much better than this." Yanking her arrow out of the tree and freeing the squirrel, she slid it back into her quiver, throwing her bow over her shoulder. "You know the shortest route to the doctor? I want to end this and put his head on a pike. I love the smell of fresh blood in the morning."

As cruel as she sounded, Liliya was not nearly that twisted. She was just angry at her father and wanted him to pay for his insults. That aside he seemed to know the doctor and it pissed her off. Would they team up together to take them down?

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:19 pm

"I escaped that hell in the pitch of night, without even a torch to see where I was going. I was half starved, injured, and weak with exhaustion." Lex took a bit of bread from his pocket and took a large mouthful, chewing the tough and half-stale food thoroughly before swallowing. The brief reprieve gave him the opportunity to collect his thoughts, and to remember the agony of the doctor's cruel torture. That night played through over and over in his mind in fast forward, cramming three days of travel into mere seconds.

Leveling his gaze upon Liliya, Lex spit out a particularly unsavory bit of overcooked bread. "I could find my way there blind, deaf, and lame." It was true that he remembered everything, but the way back to the doctor's home was clearer than the clearest day of spring. "We will kill him, and, if you like, your father as well."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Liliya paled slightly, her eyes widening a fraction. Kill her father? Take down the most notorious Hunter in the hemisphere? The thought hadn't even occurred to her. Would she be able to end his life? Sure, he'd tortured her as a child and raised Nikolai as a near perfect image of himself, but he had taught her everything she knew. Could she kill the man who made her who she was?

"Let us focus on the Doctor, then worry about what comes after." Liliya tugged on her hair almost nervously, before shaking the thoughts from her mind. "How long until we reach him?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:21 pm

"I don't know, "Alexandre replied, looking off toward the horizon. "I don't remember how long I wandered after I escaped. Everything blended together. It shouldn't be more than a few days." He spoke confidently, despite having no real idea how he came up with that number. It simply felt right, so he said it. If he was wrong, there would always be a valid reason. There wasn't much more preparation to make; Lex had already packed the useful and essential items in a raggedy pack he'd found in the house. He didn't sleep, so he needed no rest. All that was left was to begin.

He did, however, noticed the nervous pull of Liliya's hair. Even if it were just for a moment, another crack in her armor had shown itself. Feeling right that she was not simply a Hunter, but unwilling to point out the 'weakness' as she would likely refer to it, Lex threw the pack over his shoulder. "Come on. We better get moving."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Liliya nodded, "Lead the way then. No Hunters will come after you, I'm sure. Oleksy will have made it known that you're off limits now. You'll be safe." She could not promise the same for herself, though. She had a sinking feeling that her father wanted to make things as difficult as possible for her to prove a point. He had basically disowned her and since she was a female doing a mans job, people would be out for her head. No doubt a bounty had been placed on her already.

A familiar anxiousness filled her, the feeling right before a good Hunt, she had a hard time suppressing it. Bring it on old man, she thought bitterly. I will own you.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:27 pm

Lex started into the woods, avoiding the main roads at all costs. There was no sense in taking them any nearer to danger, though he did not truly believe that he was safe. He was never safe. "Neither of us are safe, but we're safest if we stick together," he replied, unwilling to separate again. It was odd, their association. They'd been hated enemies just a couple of days prior, though they hated each other without realizing it. Now they were traveling companions and partners in arms. Lex was glad to have an ally for once, but also worried. Though he did not fear Liliya's wrath, he did fear for her life.

"Once we get through the woods, we'll take an old hunting trail up through the benches of the mountain. The doctor lives on the other side, away from the eyes of the public, where he can do whatever he wants without reprimand." The thought left a bitter taste in Lex's mouth. Rather than using his intelligence to help people, he sought only to destroy. There was a time when he wouldn't have cared, as long as it was done far away from himself. However, being a product of that experimentation, he wanted nothing more than to end the doctor's all-to-lavish life.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:27 pm

Liliya followed Lex through the woods, silently, stealthy, her senses on high alert. "Believe it or not there is only one person stupid enough to go against a direct order from Oleksy and you're traveling with her." He may not have believed his own safety, but the only thing he had to worry about was wild animals. And even then, she had her bow and she never missed.

"Without reprimand, eh? Not for long. That Doctor has one hell of a wake up call heading his way. I can not wait to see the expression on his face as his life fades. I bet it will be glorious." Killing the doctor was of no consequence to her. It would not fuel guilt, or sorrow. It was business. However, her thoughts kept drifting towards her father, and what was to be done with him. Lex owed her nothing, he had saved her life and she was in his debt. She would help him kill the man who hunted him, but he had no reason to help her. Could she take out Oleksy on her own?

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 pm

"We'll see," Lex replied. He wanted nothing more than to end the Doctor's life, but he would not go quietly. "There will be others to fight. Other experiments. Monsters, but not like me. Much worse. They have absolutely no conscience, and kill purely for the pleasure of it." Liliya could obvious handle herself, but he could not help but wonder if she was prepared to face the Doctor's shop of horrors. "When the time comes, he will die painfully."

Lex remained quiet for a bit, going through his mind over what the Doctor had to defend himself, and how to get inside. The complex was not a simple cottage, after all. Without proper planning, their revenge trip would end quite abruptly. "Liliya," he said finally, wanting a break from the horrific train of thought. "What happened with your brother? Why didn't he kill you? I'm glad he didn't but... if he is as ruthless as your father, why did he not just execute you for your betrayal?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Lili sighed softly, knowing that it was bound to come up sooner or later. "Nikolai uses me as a punching bag. He is only allowed to hurt. The execution, the punishment, lies with my father. Nikolai is not allowed to deliver a killing blow. Aside from that, Elijah had shown up." She paused, considering how much she should reveal. After careful thought she decided to withhold nothing.

"Nikolai and Elijah are twins, and technically only my half brothers. They are as different as two things can be. Nikolai thrives on destruction and chaos, while Elijah is as gentle and kind as they come. He is a healer, and delves in magic from time to time. He was the one who took care of me when Father beat me within an inch of my life. He is the only one who has shown me compassion and kindness."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:16 pm

"And you are somewhere in between," Lex commented, for he had seen to very different sides of her personality, each similar to her half brothers. His words were not accusing, however, but soft, even kind. He believed that she was the best of both worlds. She could be serious when the situation warranted violence, but she could also be caring. He didn't full himself into thinking that she was on her trip for his sake. If the circumstances were any different, she'd probably have dropped him off herself and collected the bounty. But she didn't, which made Lex feel responsible for her predicament.

His pace slowed ever so slightly as he turned toward Liliya, seeing her in a much different light. "For my part, i'm sorry. But I am grateful for what you've done for me. I don't truly understand why you decided to help me from the very beginning, other than feeling some sort of debt owed, but you have already repaid that kindness. But I am thankful that you're here."

"Will you tell me more?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:17 pm

"In between? No. I am not nearly kind enough to be in between." She did not notice Lex looking at her, she was far more focused on their surroundings. Lex was safe. She was not.

"More? About what? If you are hoping for some secret, or to see the girl under the armor it won't happen. There is nothing under the armor. However," she looked at him, an eyebrow raising, "if you have questions feel free to ask. I will not hide anything. I do not see the point in it."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:18 pm

"There is always something under the armor." Lex paid little attention to the tough girl routine by then. He was just happy she was opening up a little. He wanted her to loosen up a bit, relax a little. They were miles away from the Doctor and well off the known roads. If they were going to be partners in murder, they might as well try to enjoy themselves a bit.

"The same goes for you. Any questions you have are welcome. But i'll start. What happened to your mother?" Right to the point. Lex questioned Liliya because he, himself, had little memory of his real mother. It was a method by which he could try to regain a small amount of his life before unlife, to remember that there could be good people in the world too.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:18 pm

"My mother?" Liliya thought about her mother so little recently. "My mother died when I was four. She got sick. It was what made Elijah want to be a healer. She wasn't his birth mother, but he loved her the same. I get my red hair from her." Lili could hardly remember a thing about her mother, all she knew was that her voice was soft, her hands gentle and kind.

After that she saw no kindness aside from Elijah. She became hardened and cold. If her mother had not died she would be a completely different person. "On her death day I visit her grave. I don't believe my father ever loved her. Then again, love is a myth, isn't it?"

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Lex took a moment to think about what she said before answering. "Perhaps. But I have always thought that love between parent and child is real, when it exists at all. Your father obviously does not love you. But... perhaps she truly loved you. The way you speak of her, I think you loved her too." It was a reach, even for him. He didn't know much about her. But the way her voice and her face changed when she talked about the woman lead him to believe that there was something real there.

"To have produced someone like you, and like Elijah, she must have been very kind. You say there is no one behind the armor, but i believe that is not true. I have seen the look in your eye when you do not kill your prey. You could have let your father take me, but there was a fierce defiance there. There is more to you than you let on." So distracted, Lex did not see the branch in the path ahead. He stumbled forward, tangled up in it, and fell to the ground.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:20 pm

About to scoff and roll her eyes in irritation, Liliya halted and watched Lex tumblr and fall. Her eyes widened a fraction and she stared at him for a moment before she burst out laughing. She doubled over, clutching at her sides as she laughed. "Gods, I... I'm sorry..." She gasped, trying to get herself under control. "You just.. You were so... Serious and then..." She fell into another fit of giggles, covering her face with her hands. It had been far too long since she had laughed like that.

Once she regained control of herself, she straightened and sighed. "Do you need a hand up?" She smirked, her eyes bright.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Lex's belly erupted in laughter, singing in harmony with Lili's. She was absolutely right. The timing could not have been better, and the way he fell face first into the mud was nothing short of priceless when humor was in such short supply. He pushed himself out of the mud, almost falling again as he pushed himself to his feet with Liliya's aid. "Yes, thank you. I guess I should pay more attention to where i'm going, eh?" After untangling his feet from the brush, Lex tried in vain to wipe some of the mud off his face, then resigned to just finding a water source to wash up later.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm

"I suppose you should." Liliya sighed softly, a smile playing on her lips. "It was a good laugh, though." She searched the surrounding area for sounds of a river or stream so that he could wash off. Only a few feet to the left, she heard the sound of rushing water. "This way, come. If anyone sees you they're going to think you are some sort of mud monster." The thought amused her, and she smiled, but she said nothing more about it.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:22 pm

"A mud monster? Hmm... wouldn't be too far off the mark." Alexandre chuckled and allowed himself to be lead. He knew the water would be cold, but anything felt better than the sticky mess caked to his face. "But it would make more sense if mud monsters traveled in groups for safety." Without warning, Lex took some of the mud stuck to his head and smeared it on Lili's cheek. If they were going to laugh, they might as well keep it up.

Quickly he picked his way through the trees and brush until they reached the water, a babbling brook that was shallow and clear. There were no fish, and the moving water kept the insects from lighting there. True to his thoughts, the water was icy cold, but he took some in his hands and splashed it on his face and began to rub away the dark grey earth.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:22 pm

"Oi, what was that for?" Liliya recoiled in disgust at the slimy mud now stuck to her face. Upon reaching the river, she scowled (though it was more like she was pouting), and began to wash the mud from her face. Giving Lex a sideways glance, Liliya nudged him with her shoulder just hard enough to knock him into the water. If he was off balance even by a fraction, which she hoped he was, he would tumble into the ice cold water.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Lex's response came only in the form of laughter. He didn't expect retaliation so soon, but it came anyway in the form of a nudge into the frigid water. Again he went down, splashing water all over. Even to his unnatural body, the water was ice cold and freezing. Causing him to scamper back toward the edge to avoid staying in any longer. Never one to back down from a challenge, however, Lex grabbed onto Liliya's ankle and pulled, attempting to drag her down into the stream as well. True she was mortal, and would find the water colder than he did, but she was strong and... well.... she asked for it

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Liliya squealed as she slid into the frigid water. Her lower half got soaked, and she scrambled out of the water back to the land. "Alexandre!" She chided. "Stop being a petty child!" But she was not upset, even though she was now freezing, she was amused. If he wanted to play this game, she would play. And she would win.

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danry Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Lex laughed heartily, splashing around as he pulled himself out of the water. "Hey i'm just doing you a favor! You found this lovely stream for me, but I couldn't hog it all to myself. I'm just sharing the bounty with you." Standing finally, his clothing soaked to the bone, Lex stared back at Liliya with his hands on his hips, ready to taunt her again. "Come on, Hunter! Don't let this monster show you up already."

Danry
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum