Domain of Demons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dispelling Freedom - Remix

Go down

Dispelling Freedom - Remix Empty Dispelling Freedom - Remix

Post by Danry Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:39 am

The moon's pale glow could not pierce the thick cloud of black smoke as it billowed over the land, covering it in darkness. Ophelion fought hard, but ever minute that passed brought them closer to defeat. The dragon above belched fire from the heavens while it's Kin army pressed against the citadel walls. Unlike the previous battles, not one siege weapon was to be used, for Lord Malvaris ordered to keep the city as intact as possible. It was to serve as a staging point for future incursions into the mainland, and as a beacon to all that stood against the might of the dragons. Ophelion would be a reminder that not even the strongest of nations would be enough.

Another pass by Malvaris destroyed the last of the dragon killers, giant crossbows mounted on tall turrets. With the remaining alliance army huddled inside the city walls, unable to defend their keep, Orphelion sounded the horn and lowered the country's flag, signaling their surrender. The once proud nation was reduced to the bitter state of despair, but could no longer suffer the indiscriminate annihilation of it's people. By the time the sun rose, Malvaris' army was inside the castle.

**The Next Day**

Daybreak fell on the sacked citadel, the sunlight filtering through windows damaged by flame and smoke. Despite the ravages of war, the city was relatively clean, a requirement of the army's new leader, Tayga Kane. The Dragon-kin was the one responsible for the success of the ground troops. That, coupled with his prowess and pedigree, earned him the keys to the city, so to speak. Ophelion was his to rule and to keep, for better or for worse. He accepted the offer proudly and without hesitation, and was just on his way to the market center to take part in his first luxury.

The market was already thriving with the day's wares. Being the first day, every Kin was in attendance that could attend, eager to purchase from the choicest pick of slaves. What they would be used for would be up to the new owner, for a slave had no rights, no privileges, and was worth no more than an animal.

There was little interest to be had throughout most of the auction. Most of the buyers were wealthy merchants, or soldiers looking for someone to keep their beds warm at night. Tayga watched almost passively as humans were purchased left and right. Those who fought and wept the most were bought almost immediately, as it was considered quite a prize to break the spirit of another. He was about to leave the auction all together when a flash of movement from the nearby ally caught his eye.

As he stared into the ally a pair of orange hues stared back. Whomever they belonged to remained encased in shadow so it was nearly impossible to determine who, or what, it was. Taking a step forward to close this distance seemed to startle the owner of the orbs and they disappeared into the darkness.

**1 Week Later**

It had been over a week since the Kin had overrun Ophelion, and while the humans were still adjusting to their newfound status, the Kin were thriving. Tayga, having taken to the fallen a generals house, was not so content. Someone inside his new home was thieving food from his kitchens. At first he hadn't noticed as he did not do the shopping, but when his kitchen staff left for market more frequently than needed it aroused his suspicions. Wanting to catch the culprit in the act he entered the kitchens late one night under cover of darkness and there he waited into the night. Fortunately he didn't have to wait for too long; much to his surprise the thief did not come from the dining hall, but straight out of the wall. He patiently waited, his amber eyes following this petite girl he had never seen before, much less allowed access of his home to. Only when she turned did he recognize her bright orange eyes.

Watching her scurry around the kitchen the Kin had enough. With purpose he strode forward and snatched her, his large hand gripping her bicep with bruising force. Yelping in surprise, the girl dropped all the food, her eyes wide and frightened -- as they should be.

"Just what do you think you're doing?" Tayga hissed with no small amount of malice. After several seconds with nothing but a wide eyed stare, the normally patient Kin grew agitated. His grip moved from her arm to her throat where he hoisted her off the floor, his grip tight. "I do not take kindly to those who steal from me." He snarled, the weight of his words heavy with Dragon Fear.

The girl grasped at his hand struggling to speak. It didn't help that he had leveled her face to his leaving her feet dangling a foot above the floor.

"Give me one good reason not to tear your heart out where you stand." Truth be told, the only reason he had not done so already was solely for the fact that she had managed to avoid his detection for a week, but also managed to avoid being caught that first day in the market square.

"I can help you..." She squeaked, her struggles slowing as her consciousness began to fade.

The girls declaration caused Tayga to chuckle in amusement, and he unceremoniously dropped her to the floor watching her gasp and choke. Lowering himself into a chair, he folded his hands in front of his fave, his eyes shining. "Go on then," He prodded, "tell me how you can be of assistance to me."

It took a few moments for her to collect herself, but she did not move, smart enough to know not to get too close, but also not to try and run. "I can see lies." She said simply.

"See lies," Tayga asked curiously. For a moment he tapped his chin, then leaned forward gesturing to the chair opposite him. "Tell me your name, girl."

Shakily pulling herself into the chair, her eyes never left the Kin. "Tessa."

"Answer me this, Tessa, how did you get inside my home?" The look he received was one of contempt, not at all what he had been expecting.

"I've lived here long before you moved in." Tessas voice matched the look in her eyes.

The amusement faded from Taygas face, he did not tolerate being spoken to in such a way. "I asked you a question." His tone matched hers, but his was laced with Dragon Fear.

"This house belonged to General Muzaka, he offered me refuge here." The longer she sat in his presence the most uncomfortable she felt.

Tayga leaned forward, his eyes narrowing. "How did you gain access to my home?"

It took a lot of self control for Tessa to remain seated where she was and not chance an escape. But she was a smart girl, knowing that if she moved, or continued to skirt around the answer, he might actually kill her. "There's a series of tunnels leading in and out of the grounds, as well as secret passageways throughout the manor." The girl averted her eyes, almost afraid to meet his gaze. "I've been living in the panic room that's inside the closet of the master bedroom."

She could have been lying, but what would have been the point? If she really could see lies would it not adversely effect her ability? It wouldn't have been wise to lie to the Kin either, she had to know that he'd find out, and she seemed smarter than that. Tayga knew she couldn't be lying about the tunnels or secret corridors. Not only had he seen her appear out of thin air already inside the kitchen, but she had vanished in the market square without a trace, ending up inside his home. No, she must have been telling the truth, and that intrigued him.

After staring her down for what felt like ages, he finally spoke. "Show me." Surprised, not expecting him to believe her, Tessa stood and headed towards the door, but as she passed Tayga, he grabbed her arm halting her in her steps. "Not that way." He wasn't stupid. He knew she was looking for any opportunity to get away from him and escape back into the walls.

With a disgruntled huff she turned and headed back to the wall. Impatiently the Kin waited, watching as she pressed one of the stones in the wall releasing a hatch allowing a door to swing open. The seams of the hidden corridor matched perfectly, and only someone who knew it was there would be able to detect it. Tessa turned and began to lead Tayga through the dimly lit corridor, pausing every once in a while to point out the peep holes she used and to indicate where in the manor they were.

"That leads down to a series of corridors to the basement levels. A hidden rooms is down there as well. The human constable liked to use it for... interrogations." Tessa turned right instead of descending down into the darkness, eventually leading to a staircase and another door at the top.

Pressing a notch in the wall, a panel slid open and revealed Tessas temporary safe haven. It was quite small for the large Kin, but seemed perfectly suited for someone of a small stature. Like Tessa. Leading the Kin to believe that it was perhaps made for her. It was sparsely decorated, with just a simple bed and small chest he deduced had been full of supplies, but was now empty given her little excursions into his kitchen.

Tayga was impressed. For a human Tessa was quite resourceful, having survived in such small quarters with naught but her wits. A long tense silence followed the reveal of her panic room, Tessa wasn't sure what to make of the silence, she just pressed herself against the far wall as if she could make herself disappear. When he finally spoke, it startled her.

"Perhaps I do have use for you afterall." He mused, his amber orbs locked on her. In the dim light it looked as though they were glowing, and for one horrifying moment, she thought she saw something devious flash through his eyes but it was gone as quickly as it had come.

"I'm sure you do." Tessa murmured under her breath, turning her face away from him. His gaze unnerved her, she didn't like being scrutinized so closely.

"What was that?" Tayga had clearly heard what she said, but he was curious to see how far she would try to push him before he inevitably put her in her place.

"I saw you kill him." She said, still not meeting his eyes. "Effortless, was it? Do you care nothing about the sanctity of human life?" Her voice shook with rage, and pain. The General was the only person who had shown kindness to her, the only one who didn't berate or beat her. His death had caused her great pain. "You disgust me."

Quick as a flash the back of Taygas hand met her cheek, the sudden movement sending her sprawling into the wall where she crumpled to the floor. Hand on her face, Tessa looked up at him with expression a mix of shock and fear; clearly she underestimated him.

Unfazed by the look she gave him, Tayga merely raised an eyebrow at her. "Something you should be aware of is that I do not allow my property to speak to me in such a way."

"I'm not you-"

"Ssssp!" Tayga's tongue hissed sharply, cutting off the girl before she could speak further. "Claiming that you are not means that you do not want to serve me. If you don't want to serve me, then I have no use for you. If I have no use for you then I will kill you based on the grounds of trespassing and thievery. But I don't grant the luxury of death just because someone is unhappy with their lot in life." Swiftly he grabbed hold of her arm and yanked her to her feet. He noticed a knot in the wall that looked out of place, pushing it his suspicions was confirmed as a new panel slid open revealing the master bedroom.

Effortlessly tossing her into the room he stepped through the door and let the panel slide closed behind him. As she struggled to get to her feet, he crossed the room and rifled through a chest for something. As if she realized what a mistake it had been to reveal such things about herself, and even make an offer of usefulness, she darted towards the door. Grabbing the handle she yanked it open, only for it to be slammed shut again. Whirling around, Tayga loomed over her an amused grin on his face. Had she really expected to get away from him?

Towering over her, he used this opportunity of stillness to place around her neck a thick leather collar, one laced with yellow magic, binding it to her. The only one able to remove it would be him, and he quite enjoyed seeing her with it. There was no leash attatched to this collar, but a thin band around the Kins wrist faintly glowed for a moment before it faded. 

Tessa, now free from the initial shock at how fast he seemed to be able to move, grabbed the collar with her hand, horror etched across her face. "Wha-"

"From this point forward," Tayga cut her off, stepped away from her, and headed across the room. "You will address me as Sir, Master, or Master Tayga." He paused about halfway across the room, considered something for a moment, then continued forward. It was at that point that Tessa noticed that the collar around her neck almost burned against her skin. Tugging at it, she frantically tried to pull it off, or undo the simple latch that held it there. Nothing was working, but the burning sensation seemed to get worse.

"Come here." Tayga commanded, not even turning to face her. He was changing his clothes into sleeping attire, having decided that he had accomplished his goal of capturing the thief, and was going to sleep. He was a busy, and important, Kin afterall.

Tessa hesitantly crossed the room and the closer she got to him, the less the collar burned until it stopped completely. Baffled, she took a few steps away from him only to feel it begin to sting again, and moved quickly forward to make it stop. Tayga finally turned to face her clad only in a loose pair of trousers.

"I expect you have discovered your limitations." He moved past her to a chest at the foot of the bed from which he removed a blanket and pillow. Tossing the items to her he gestured vaguely at the floor. "Sleep. I have work to do in the morning."

"You expect me to sleep on the floor?" Tessa refrained from scoffing, though she found it quite difficult.

Quickly losing his patience with the girl Tayga grabbed Tessas wrist and yanked hard, leaning down close to her face. "I do not repeat myself. When I command you to do something, you comply without deviation." His voice was cold, and a chill raced down her spine. Being indentured to him was not going to be fun.

Danry
Admin

https://domainofdemons.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down